Price, Distance, Warranty what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Mar 9, 2007.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I'm leaving early tomorrow morning to pick up a Hustler Super Z mower, but I'm still trying to figure out the best route to take.

Option #1.... I can drive 50 miles and get a used 2005 model 60" 27 hp Kohler with 29 hours on it for $7000. I know the owner, and the mower looks new. This mower would still be under original warranty till August of this year.

Option #2... I can drive 275 miles and get a new 2006 Super Z 52" 27 hp Kohler with 1 hour on it, with the full two year warranty for $6900 cash, or a new 2005 identical to my friends 60" 27 hp with full two year warranty for $7300 cash.

I'm only starting out with my own property and a couple of my neighbors so I'll only be putting maybe 100 to 150 hours a year on it for the first couple of years. Is the extra year warranty on the new mowers worth driving an extra 450 miles round trip, considering the amount of hours I'll be using it?

Your thoughts please...

2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

All sound like a lot of mowers for only 100-150 hours a year. Might save yourself a ton of money with a Walkbehind. What are the sizes of the properties you will be cutting? Is this a parttime venture? Where do you hope to expand.
    Gary

3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Drive 10 miles and buy a john deere at home DePot..... If ya want my honest opinion.

4. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I would go with the 2006 60" mower for the price difference and longer warranty. Just a couple more hours (each way) and $300 for a lot longer warranty. Just my .02 worth. I hope your properties are large to be purchasing this size mower. I can tell you that you will love this machine once you get it though!

Good luck

5. webdrifter

A walk behind would be cheaper, but I'm nearly 50 years old and thought the rider would be a lot better on my back and knees. I would be looking at mowing my own 3 acres plus three other close properties that would total around 12 - 15 acres a week. I hope to add a few yards eventually, and possibly grow a business that can get me out of the factory work that I'm now in, or at least help me retire a little early with a backup income.

As far as going to Home Depot or Lowes to buy a mower I've been there and done that. 300 to 400 hours then you can throw them away, at least this has been my experience with the cheaper mowers.

I'm actually leaving at 3:30 in the morning heading out of state to purchase the mower. It appears that i have a couple of very good options. One is the 52" 27hp kohler Super Z for $6900 the other is a Super Z with the 66" XR7 deck and the 26 hp Kawasaki liquid cooled motor at I believe $7600. 26 hp seems under powered for that deck, but the price seems great.

6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

well now 15 acres is alot to mow my bad...

7. webdrifter

I made my trip, and purchased a new Hustler Super Z. Well actually it was a new unsold 05 model built in December with the 27 hp Kohler and 66" XR7 deck on it. I'm hoping now that the Super Z was the correct choice. I used a Super Z for a few hours a couple of years ago on a different property that I owned and was very happy with the way it handled and mowed. I used this New Super Z today on the property that I currently own, and I'm a little disappointed in it's performance. On level to slightly sloping land it will absolutely fly, and cut like a dream, but when I go up hill on my property I have to go real slow or it will almost stall. I'm not talking thick grass, I'm just talking about having the blades engaged running over grass thats already been cut, and maybe going 6 or 7 mph. I'm not talking super steep, I use to mow it on my regular rider going across it setting upright. It's not one of those lean off the side of the seat hills. When I wanted to try this unit out, they had to work on the carburetor, and drain old gas out of the unit, before they could get it to run good at the dealership. The oil had to be changed because of gas in it, and the plugs were also changed. These things didn't bother me to much because I knew the mower would be under warranty, but now I'm wondering if there is still something slightly off on the motor, or if the Super Z is just this poor going up hills. Maybe a regular Z would have worked better for me. Does anyone else mow hills with their Super Z mowers?

8. webdrifter

Any Hill Experience with power loss?

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well my Super Z with the 27 Kohler didn't have enough power to get up a hill with the blades off. Yes I would call the dealer ASAP and try to get a regular Z. The Super Z is geared so high (not the proper term for hydraulics) that it has a hard time on hills. The Z will out run a Super on hills and will have more pulling torque. Plus it sounds like you have a few other problems to go along with it. Hustler has been a very good company to help customers out and make sure they are happy.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I would go for the regular Z too.

Get a regular Z and add the suspension seat.