1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price for 1988 Grasshopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andy05, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Andy05

Andy05 LawnSite Member

I own my own push mowing business and my dad owns a larger business...

We went to our local scag dealer b/c he had an air filter problem, and next door this guy is selling a "1988" grasshopper 36" cut zero turn...

this thing looks like a toy, but it actually may be perfect for my needs...

my question is how much should i be willing to pay for it?

it's in OK condition, after some work, I could have it looking new, few scratches and paint chips all over the mower, but that all can be fixed, he says it has a new motor and it runs fine....

he's asking $1200, don't you guys think that's a little much for something 2 years younger than I am? and what should I offer him if it is?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

16 year old machine...5 bills tops.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am with rod father. Start with $500 see if he takes it. If not give no more that $550. Tell him you only have $500. Take $500 in $10 and $20 and show him thats all you have. This makes you look poor. (done it and its works) Then put $50 in $5 in another pocket. If he wants $550.
  4. Andy05

Andy05 LawnSite Member

bump, need some more opinions...

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that is wayyy to high. I agree with the other's; $500 is about all I would pay.

Also, you may want to look into one of the oversized push mowers. Homier makes a 26" push style mower for $300 with a B&S Intek (which is a comm. grade engine) 6 hp and self propelled. This will save you a little time.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I am with Rod and Will on this as well. No more than 5-600.00. You could have all kinds of unseen problems, or you could get 2-3 years out of it as it is.... tell the guy you are just starting out, and that's all you have to offer for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
  7. Andy05

Andy05 LawnSite Member

I have a 21" self propelled craftsman push mower and it has done a great job for me...

but if I get a rider I could have myself about 5 more accounts...so technically the mower could pay itself off...
  8. vanishingyears

vanishingyears LawnSite Member

Im not all that far from you, and I was browsing for a used mower for a couple months this year. Ended up buying a new one, but from all the used ones I ran accross that fellow is quite a bit high. What are you looking for... ztr , normal rider, either... and what size range? Id be happy to go back through some of the leads I had and send them to you.

9. Andy05

Andy05 LawnSite Member

definitely zero turn....

sorry took so long to get back....
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Andy, Whatever happened? Did you buy this mower?Is it still alive? Just curious..:D