Price For Cutting 1,2 and 3 Acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plmjt, Feb 19, 2008.

1. plmjt

plmjt LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Hey Guys

What would be a fair percentage to price about 100 residential properties for mowing, edging, weed trimming. They have to have 3 separate prices. A price for 1 acre, a price for 1 to 2 acres, and a price for 2 to 3 acres.
    I was thinking something like A for 1 acre, A + 70%= B, B + 50%= C

These numbers are just an example, In dollars that would be 30.00 For 1 acre
    51.00 for 1 to 2 acres, and 76.50 for 2 to 3 acres.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Is that what you need to be profitable? You need to figure your expenses, and bid accordingly. I can't tell you what price to bid, without knowing everything about your business.

Plus, I think I'm bidding on the same job as you!!!!:waving:

3. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

LOL swap notes

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Come on.......

what's up with all the how much should I charge post.

5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

You will be outa buisness next year at those prices you should get at least $50 for the first acre and $20 for each additional acre.And thats cheap. I have a $45 minimum and have not lost any jobs that I would want anyway. That $45 covers up to 30K sq ft

6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Dollar a minute... seem good...?

7. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

And the winning bids were: 20.00 for one acre, 30.000 for two acres, and 35.00 for three acres. Left lots of money on the table.

8. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone do any math?

Assumptions 1 mile =5280'
    1 acre= 43560 sqf

6mph speed will go 31680 linear feet
    5280 X 6mph = 31680 linear feet / 60 minutes = 528 linear feet per minute

using a 72" deck 6' you have to travel 7260 linar feet to cover 43560 sqf
    43560/6' (deck width) = 7260 linear feet

7260/528 = 14 minutes (rounded) This is how long it takes you to mow 1 acre going 6mph with a 72" deck on the level no turns

If you want to make 40/hr and are in the 22% tax range thats $49 hr X .25(15 minutes) = $12.25 hr in labor

Now that is just to jump on a lawn mower and mow in a straight line no overhead in insurance, no oppearting cost of machine, or drive time,
    if you charge only 45 per acre that is 32.75 left to cover all of the other expenses, and make a profit.
    Please come here and I will pay you mow to all my properties.
    Not trying to be mean or condisending, and I realize people on here are just starting out, but do the math. There will always ALWAYS be people out there doing things for less.
    If my math is wrong please inform me of the mistakes might have to raise my prices

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Just charge accordingly. If a 1 acre property is wide open with few obsticles it should be less than the 1 acre that has a bunch of trees and obsticles. You've gotta charge so that you can pay your expenses and make money, but still low enough to be competative in the market.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I agree - I have a $45 minimum for the first acre - that covers load-unload, and then it is anywhere from $25 to $40 per acre after that depending upon difficulty. Most of my accounts that are above 7 acres average in the $30-$33 per acre range.