Price for Honda 48" 13HP walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrsargemeister, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mrsargemeister

mrsargemeister LawnSite Member

New to the forum. What is a fair price for a Honda 13HP 48" Hydro, walk behind? Approx 200 hours. Several years old. Looks to be in decent condition. I didnt run the machine because of old gas. I didnt want to suck old gas through the carb. I'm counting on Honda's reputation of rock solid reliability and the previous owners word that it runs great.

What would you pay? I appreciate the help guys :usflag:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it's a common brand for a commercial unit, I can't say I've never heard of it but I can say I don't recall ever hearing of a Honda commercial-grade Wb... Which, parts might not be so bad but as for repair support that might be a unique machine you may well be on your own... Not saying nobody will help you, it is a matter of who knows about these?

Then it all depends, what was Honda doing, is this just a unit they threw out there to see how well it would catch on, or is it another in the long line of economical looks-to-be-commercial but meant for the homeowner machines that you can find at HD / Lowe's / Northern, etc, etc? Because I've seen more than a few of these supposed 'hydros' at a price about make me wet my pants, but upon closer inspection it's not a true hydro, or maybe I should say it's not intended for every day use, that's what I keep wondering about here.

I do agree I don't think you'll have problems if the owner claims the engine runs good, it's a Honda, you should be gtg with some fresh gas, yes.
    But I don't know, what it cost new, what's it worth now, but ease of actual operation long-term and will it hold up, then how to fix it when it breaks would be my main considerations.

3. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

This mower is fairly old. I bought a new floor model 36" Honda 13 hp "tru-gear" belt drive mower in 2001. Shortly thereafter, I found out that they had stopped making them in about 2000. You can use http://www.archive.org to look at honda's old site to see the specs. I have about 800 hours on mine.

These mowers are true commercial quality, although they have a few weak spots. The deck is only about 10 gauge metal, and the innovative deck height adjust system, while it allows for reasonably quick level deck adjustment, has a tendency twist if you run a bagger. I had to shim mine. Also, the idler pulleys are plastic with ball bearing centers and will wear out and melt after 500 or so hours. I had to add an addition spring to my deck clutch pulley, because it would not pull off due to it's bearing wearing out. Also, the OPS system developed an electrical gremlin, and is disconnected. Honda does not provide wiring diagrams or parts list to owners, only dealers. . .

The spindles are heavy duty, greasable, roller bearing.

Honda still stocks parts, but their customer service is pretty slow! You have to order parts from a warehouse in the South.

The Gx390 engine is good, but it is barely powerful enough for a 36" gear-drive. Running a 48" deck and hydros, it would be a real dog.

These mowers were premium products when made. My gear drive was tagged at about 15% higher than an Exmark, John Deere, or Ferris, but it had more features. As far as current prices would go, I would pay about 15-20% less for the Honda than comparable age (8-12+ years) and hours mower from a manufacturer that still makes them and has a dealer near you. Parts and service may cause headaches. However, I'ld still buy this mower over another with way more hours. I'm guessing $1400 to $1600, although I have not been watching the market for this type of mower.

4. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

I,ve heard they are a night mare to get set up to run and cut properly,not the engine, but the blades and belts and hydros. I would leave it were it is and look for something that is still being made today. IMO

Mo

5. mrsargemeister

mrsargemeister LawnSite Member

great advice, you guys know your stuff. The machine did have a solid build, though I read somewhere that the machine might be a bit underpowered. Parts availability I'm sure will be a nightmare, I guess thats a risk I'm going to have to take if I can get it for a good price. I know my way around a toolbox and my dad is a machinist so I'm sure it wouldnt be a total wash if the sh*t hit the fan. Thanks for the help!

6. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

You might call a few Honda dealers and ask if they can get parts for that machine and get a manual for it also. I was told by a dealer in Fountain, Co that Vail golf course had one or two at some time when they were new and they had a lot of problems with them.

Mo

7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Parts are pretty readily available for them. Bunton made the deck for them.

8. eastcoastscraper

eastcoastscraper LawnSite Member

these machines are some of the best cutting mowers of there time we have a 48 hydro wb as a back up. been running for 10+ years the cool thing about these mowers is the attachments we have a huge snowblower and sweeper not easy to change out but what is.the motors can be had for about $430 off ebay
    no not fake ones either.if you can get one do it.