Price for installing real stones for walkway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by flascaper, Nov 30, 2007.

1. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

Customer is providing the stones. I will be using crushed concrete base only and aluminum edging. Need a better idea on what to charge for putting in these avondale type stones. Walkway is 3.5' X 30'.

2. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

if you've been in business for 12 years, you should know how to price your work. if not, perhaps you should consider a new job.

3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Hourly rate x Hours to Complete Job

4. flascaper

Im getting alot of bad responses almost angry at me for posting this question. I already put a bid in for 8 per sq ft. so 720 for labor does not include crushed base @ 40 per yard and 45 to install and tamp. Aluminum edging is 18 dollars per 8 ft I charge 26 per piece plus 10 dollars to install each one. So about 1310 for the whole job. I asked this question because I have not used real stone before and know they are a pain to get right some times. Just wanted a ballpark per sq ft of labor. Sorry I asked. damn.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Here in Georgia the going rate for Stone veneer on top of an existing concrete walkway is around 7 to 10 dollars a sq/ft with all materials included.

Also depends on the stone thickness as well and how close you are willing to keep the joints.
    I personally will not dry set stone unless it is really thick.I prefer the 1.5 inch and above stuff which makes it tough to break and form fit to reduce the joints between the stones.

Most here use what is classified as thin stone which is only around 1 inch thick or less and it is really easy to work with.

I have no idea what Avondale stones or what a chrushed concrete base is.

6. flascaper

Crushed concrete is pulverized concrete that makes a great base when its tamped and wetted down. I was going to use it as the only base and grout. This is going over what was sod. So not over any other pre exsisting concrete. Im getting that labor should of been about 3 dollars sq ft? I charged too much if that is the case.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I was not implying that .I hate the sq/ft price deal and prefer the labor time and cost way of determing price.

Depending on the stone that sounds fair considering that you will have to excavate and dispose of the sod first.

8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"I already put a bid in for 8 per sq ft. so 720 for labor does not include crushed base @ 40 per yard and 45 to install and tamp."

If you are submitting bids with your square foot pricing,I would consider doing it another way. Figure out what everything will cost you and mark up accordingly. Sell them on your work and the proper preperation that goes with the job.

While I understand,that the customer is supplying the stone and you need to have some kind of cost based on square footage,do not tell the customer that.:nono: