Price for Million $ Homes

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by simps21, Mar 21, 2007.

1. simps21

simps21 LawnSite Member

I am getting asked for estimates for cutting in very nice million $ homes in PA. The properties vary from 1-2 acers. I was curious what guys are charging for these properties per cut.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

For us, we don't base our price off of the price of the home. We do not charge more if someone lives in a nicer house than someone else.
    We charge according to the property size, the terrain, the amount of trimming involved, etc. What we charge won't help you. You need to know YOUR cost of doing of business, to figure out what your profit will be.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i have a price breakdown i use. : if the house is worth $1 - $999,999 the min. is $35. if the house is worth $1 Million + the min. is $125.

4. we did work for a guy, big house, exclusive neighborhood, we charged him a crazy high rate, he just smiled paid it and said he didn't want them cheap lawn boys doing his work, I just smiled and said ok thanks, but that isn't the norm, but it was good while it lasted.

5. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

we mulched a doctors house the other day.. $1350 bucks for only brining mulch (20 yards) and laying it. No clean out weed pulling etc..
    after the job guy comes out and tells us we did an excellent job and hands us the check. Then he starts telling us that we really should start charging more.. two other landscape companys came out and priced him at 3K and 5K. This is all I did...:confused:

I mean that seems like robbery to me. We came out right at 1k profit for 10 hours work.

O by the way I guess the other companies knew that this guy was a brain surgeon or something. As well as we did but we just bid it at our regular price.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Good post,Listen, learn,don't charge for the house.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Companies that over-charge because of property value alone make me sick! Take it how you want to, but I've never had to mow a living room, so the size of it doesn't matter. If you start a reputation of taking more money from someone simply because they have earned more in their life, you will find yourself mowing smaller homes within 2 years. Word travels...even among the affluent.

8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone on here said it best awhile back.... The MickyD's drive thru window doesn't raise the price of a burger just because a BMW comes up to the window after a Honda Civic just left.

base your bid on the amount of work and time and be fair. A good customer will appreciate NOT being taken advantage of... A wealthy customer knows they have money and know 'some' contractors will base their estimate on the size of the house and cars in the driveway.

I've got a couple communities down here, where a million dollar home sits on a 1/2 acre lot.... with 10-12k sqt of actual grass.... therefore the 'house' doesn't cloud my judgement OR the estimate. Be fair now, long term reputation will payoff.

my example... my broinlaw is a surgeon... got ONE estimate from a 'friend' to build an edition on their house.... approx. 700-800 sqt edition/no plumbing/little electrical Estimate - $118,000.00. They did the work. My house is currently being built... 2000 sqt. $167,000.00.

Was broinlaw taken advantage of because he's a doctor???

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't advocate overcharging BUT one thing to keep in mind is, these customers tend to be pickier, so it might take you longer to mow just because you can't cut corners. Call it 'the PITA Factor' if you want but upping the price slightly to account for this is smart.

10. simps21

simps21 LawnSite Member

I wasnt trying to say that I would up the price just because of the size of the house. The properties are larger. And I agree that some of these people are pickier and expect a little more then just an a quick lawn cut like . These people want the property to look perfect.