Price for removing privet hedges

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by psmith01, Apr 12, 2006.

1. psmith01

psmith01 LawnSite Member

Customer wants 170 ft of Privet Hedges removed. The base of each is about 12 inches apart and they are 5 to 6 ft high and 3 ft wide. Owner says they are 30 years old and that the balls of each are about 1 ft in diameter. They are very easy to access and I rocked a few while observing the base. It does not appear that the root structure will be too big. Some people have said that I will have no problems, others have said that it will be difficult.

My main concern is the labor required to remove the balls/roots. I am thinking of cutting them ~18 inches above the ground, run that through a chipper, then pull the balls/roots with my truck. Good idea or no? What are your suggestions? What experiences have you had removing this type of hedge?

2. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

bobcat and shears

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your method will be just fine..go for it.

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the room, it is very likely to pull easier intact than after you cut it. You'll have more to grab and the cable or chain is less likely to slip.

Bobcat or tractor would be better than your truck. Aircraft cable with swaged ends and a couple of climbing grade caribiners makes a great pulling rig.

After you get it pulled, then bust it up with the chain saw and run it through the chipper.

5. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

Rent a small back hoe,