1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price for seeding.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NYRookie, Apr 18, 2003.

1. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I was wondering what most of you charge to seed a yard. In the past I just figured supplies and doubled it. I thought it would be easier to just measure and charge by the sq. ft.. I would include topsoil $12/yard if I pick up, seed, and straw,$4/bale, if it was new seeding and not an overseed. Any comments would be appreciated.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I charge .04 per square foot. I have a high dollar overseeder to pay for, but also tell the customer to expect about 95% germination rate.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

we get .12 a sqft, and I have an old olathe with no payments. :D
  4. Doh!

Doh! LawnSite Member

If it is a regular mowing customer, I usually factor in the fact that I will be skipping my usually income from mowing for the next few weeks. I don't just add that amount to the seeding rate, but it keeps me from bidding to low.
    The last lawn I seeded, I mow for 25$, seeded with 75lbs for $500. Sorry don't know the footage.
  5. Doh!

Doh! LawnSite Member

Oh, I only seeded the back yard.
  6. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I charge by per 1k sqft. If I am overseding it is $50 per 1k and if it is a new lawn I charge $75 per 1k. I charge $10 a bale of straw if they have to have it. I never recommend straw due to high % of weeds, but some customers just insist. Just finished a lawn yesterday that we had to do sections twice because they regraded after we already seeded. It was 20,000 sqft and took 40 bales of straw. I charged $1500.
  7. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

To Seed, rake, fertilize and roll only is (.12 sqft)
    The cost of any loam/compost brought in is additional
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

ParkerLawn...at $50 per1K for overseeding. What else are you doing besides broadcasting the seed? Aerating?? Trying to figure how you come up with a charge of $500 for a 10,000 ft yard when the seed costs about $60 and can be spread in 20 minutes. I'm sure you're dong some prep work ?
  9. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Sorry, yes I do aerate and put a starter fert down also for overseeding. I have a Ryan Lawnaire V aerator and a Ryan Mattaway seeder so that also helps out my cost for not having to figure in renting equipment. I never just broadcast seed onto a lawn. If there is alot of thatch, I will dethatch before seeding too, and that is also extra.