Price for SMALL yards??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carolinacutter, Apr 27, 2005.

1. carolinacutter

carolinacutter LawnSite Member

The smallest yard i'm doing now is almost on acre, I've 2 people that live about five houses apart in what I call a "cookie cutter" neighborhood. They can piss on from porch to porch!! What do you guys charge for these little "patches" ?? The thing is I will probably need to buy a push mower, I don't need one now so I don't have one. I figure 1/2 hour tops even if I push. I figure 20 -25 maybe, I just don't wanna get LOWBALLED out after I buy a little mower for just these 2 yards!!
  2. LawnSite Senior Member

If they are relatively easy then bid $25.00 on each. I would not reccomend a homeowners 21" but u know the cost of commercial 21's. If u are looking at picking up more cookie cutter lots then it would work out fine but if u weren't then the cost of the mower and the income on the two properties would be out of whack.
  3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

in 1 season (about 20cuts, you would have been able to make $1k total off of the 2 lots, with being said you charge $25 a visit for each lawn).... in about 10wks you'de have a 21'' toro self pace ($500 mower, a notch above homeowners)paid for, but a few LCO operate w/$1k 21'' push mowers, but if your only going to use this mower to cut 40 times a season, i think a $500 will do just fine.....

i figure it'll take you a total of 60 mins for u to cut these 2lots, but then again i don't know what you call an cookie cutter lot.... but if your operating at 3mph @ 80% efficiency you can cut .51 acre an hr (not bagged)..... with this being said each lot would be 1/4 acre or 10,890 square feet and take ya about 25-35mins a piece (weed eated & blowed @ minium).

hope this helps, good luck on w/e u do.....
  4. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

why buy a little mower??????????? I do a 10 foot by 10 foot with my 52 or my 54 depending on what I am using, takes me 8 seconds! I charge 7.50, you figure how much per hour that makes, lol. Oh, it does take me 10 seconds to drive over to it from the neighboring account. Hey and I have some a bit larger that I charge 15.00 for, I GAVE MY 21 to a friend 10 years ago or more, and have NEVER REGRETTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. David Grass

If you had to weed eat very small areas, would you buy a toy weedeater?
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

When did he say he was buying a toy lawn mower?
  7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

You must have a very big *****!
  8. David Grass

Sorry, that is true, He could be implying that he is going to get a 48 to 54 push mower, by bad.
  9. David Grass

You 21 inch guys are so sensitive!!! lol
  10. Ptunia

Ptunia LawnSite Member

If the yards are going to be weekly cuts I would charge $25 each if they are bi-weekly charge $30.

As far as the mower goes, my husband has been using push mowers for his residential yards for 20 yrs. He likes the commercial Honda. We pay about $1000. for them, but they last forever with little maintenance. If you are going to get into the small residential field, then you might want to consider investing in a machine that will last.