Price For Spreading Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeremySkrocki, Jan 29, 2002.

1. JeremySkrocki

JeremySkrocki LawnSite Member

How do you guy's bid the labor for spreading mulch? Do you estimate the amount of time it will take and charge your typical hourly rate? Or is there a rate per yard you charge?

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance.:) :)

Jeremy

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

We charge a flat rate per yard installed. Example = $55.00 per yard of hardwood bark mulch installed, with a minimum of (2) yards charge. hope that helps.

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Some jogs are a pain and you can do .5-.8 yd/man hr some 1.5 yd/man hr. Avg is about 1yd/hr but I adjust on difficulty. I figure labor rate plus materials and charge for the job never telling anyone how many yards.

Talking cu yards leads to a lot of BS in a bidding situation. You can quote high/yd on a few yards and some lair will charge cheap/yd for more yards and not put it down. Stay away from anything the customer doesn't really need to know to make a decision. They just need to know the material and the final cost.

4. Gary LA

Gary LA LawnSite Member
    from B.S.Mo.

This has always been difficult for me too.

I just get a price for the materials,figure whether or not Im going to do it myself or use an emp. depending on how big it is.

I would say it averages to be a minimum of $60 per hr.(me and 1 other) or I won't do it.

most of the time I try to avoid it to the bitter end.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

that's easy money man! why fight it? charge about 65 a yard and you should be able to get two yards out alone in under two hours. not sure what your price is per yard from the supplier but that is nothing but profit and a little sweat.

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

$90-100/yard installed. Includes edging and any other prep work necessary.

7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I am with scraper. Though I do not tell the customer how much mulch they will need. I have found in years past that other lco's have told the customer that they are putting down five yards @ $100 per yard and when I give them an estimate of $350 they think it is so cheap and ask how much mulch were you estimating on? I try to go on the high side so they don't feel like you are ripping them off. I brought 5 yards in my trailer and only used 3 on that jobs spreading it 3-4" thick. A lot of customers also get ripped off with deliveries. I have had them say, "well, I did the mulching myself last year and we ordered 20 yards and we used it all up." When I did it we used no more than 15 yards. And when I showed up with the mulch they saw it and said, "Wow, that is a lot more mulch than we used last year." I guess it is an easy scam for suppliers.

8. JeremySkrocki

JeremySkrocki LawnSite Member

I have an additional question. I was in Home Depot today and notices a 2 cu. ft. bag of red mulch cost $2.49, yet when I called a mulch supplier they quoted a price of $22 per yard for red cypress mulch. Isn't a yard 3 cu. ft. or am I missing something?

The Rookie

9. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

(1) yard = 27 cu. ft. I believe

10. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

how do u normallly measure mulch?i use a tape measure...
    what do u do if its a circular area?