Price for Spreading Topsoil?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BrianK10, Jul 5, 2005.

1. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Hey All.

I've laid sod hundreds of times, and know what I can charge for installing that, but I'm sort of confused when it comes to spreading topsoil. A customer of mine just wants it spread, with seed & hay on top. I know what I am charging for everything else except the actual moving and spreading of the topsoil itself. Should it, or could it be close to the labor price to spread a yard of mulch? Its not too difficult to me, I just don't want to charge too little to do the job. Thanks.

Brian

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

90 for the first yard, 60 per yard after that

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'd need lot's more information before I could price the job.

How much top soil are we talking about, total?

Flat land or hills?

Trees? How many?

Sprinkler system?

What are we spreading the top soil with?

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I can spread 26 yards for $300.00 if i just spread where its dumped. Anything thats takes addition time adds to the price. Tractor with loader and a boxblade.(this is tractor and operator only....a nice finish grade is more $)

5. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

so basically he wants you to do everything except seed the yard...basically spread it, grade it, roll it....so....just do it time and materials. Pick a rate thats worth your time and effort and charge it!

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

with seed & hay on top.

You mean straw right? :dizzy:

7. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $75 per yard up to 10 yards. if it is 10 yards or more I charge $65. that is based on the delivered price of $21 per yard for the soil itself. if I am using a machine, I will tack on $350 for every 25 yards.
    example:
    customer wants 20 yards of soil spread.
    20x65=$1300
    can't spread 20 yds by hand, so I add the machine into price.
    20x65=1300 + 350=1650
    easy, and fair and profitable.
    figger I break even on the machine, so there is about 850 in profit on that job

8. P. Baxter

P. Baxter LawnSite Member

WOW WEEEEEEEEEEE
    Were lucky if i can get $50.00 per yard with a machine installing the soil!!!!!!!!

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

$ 50-60 a yard installed plus the cost of delivery and cost of topsoil (if applicable) then extra equipment expense ie a tractor.

Jeff