Price: Hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Will P.C., Aug 5, 2010.

1. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in PA, not Florida. So pricing styles are different since shrubs and plants are different. We don't have palms! Pricing per shrub for me is much easier than guessing how long something will take. There is more flexibility this way. I've never lost out this way. If you under estimate an hourly...you've screwed yourself.

2. ChevHayes

ChevHayes LawnSite Member

Up north, we use mulch. When you trim a yellow or green bush or shrub, the clippings don't exactly camoflauge well with a black or brown mulch.

3. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

also cleaning the clipping is part of the job

4. Well, price per shrub then. We have so many different types of plants and ornamentals that they all require different types of pruning(assuming you are doing it correctly or know what your doing which most around here don't). I still think pricing per shrub is stupid. Well, this one is 6.25' and this one is 6.5' so it will be 6.50 for that and 7 for this....it sounds like nickle and diming to me. To each his own though.

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

$ 65 to 75 per hour, this price doesnt include haul away. That would be extra.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Man you guys up north do things ass backwards I put 3 guys on trimmers 1 on a blower blowing out clippings and a guy on the Z mulching it up. And our prices aren't messed up at least not my area's which are new and you basically name a price.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

We use mulch too, however if you have a shrub that is 9 foot wide and 3 foot deep - there is a lot of room under the shrub, which I might add mulch should not be for the health of the shrub, in which the clippings can be returned. Unless the plant has a disease, why not return the clippings and let them work their magic? It is kind of like gathering up fertilizer and taking it to the dump right? :rolleyes:

8. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

all account want the clipping out so rmoving the clipping are part of the cost

9. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Even though these people live in 450,000+ homes, they are cheap. Probably 50% of them will wait until the HOA sends them a notice before they will have it done. Since it has been 3-4 years since these homes were built, it is that time right now.

We use pine straw in the suburbs of South Atl.

I agree with you on letting the clippings go back into the soil. I usually make a quick swoop, and pick up the larger pieces. No way I could pick up anymore, without removing a decent amount of pine straw. Moreover, the clippings turn brown by the next day and start decomp

10. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

not all of us:laugh: