Price Increase for 2009

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tlg, Feb 6, 2009.

1. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

If you did a price increase how much? If you did no increase Why not?

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in business for 13 seasons and have raised prices every year across the board with the exception of a select few customers. This year however, I am not raising prices. 2 reasons. The first obvious one is the extremely shaky economy. The second is gas prices and some product prices are down.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have raised my prices every year 5%....and did again this year!

Figure I need a raise just like everyone else!

With that said...I could probably lose about 15 or my avg size customers and "break even" on my sales dollars. With that said I will make the same money and do less work!

Working smarter and not harder!

Plus...fert is still up and who knows where fuel will be this summer!

I paid over $4 for gas all last year and never passed anything on to the customer. This year it is not going to happen!

4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

from what ive seen so far, material cost is gonna be pretty close to last year,
    or what i was paying last year. i decided on a 1-3% increase for this year.
    instead of doing a set % increase across the board, i went through every single customer and only upped the accts with high material cost vs labor 3% and
    kept a few low material cost accts the same as last year, and average accts 1-2%.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

None this year. I had a pretty sizeable increase last year because I saw the "writing on the wall" and covered myself pretty well.

I made so much money , I had to take a Business trip down to Florida to look at some used sprayers Disney World had for sale.:rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

First part's true...second part's BS.
    Seriously, the economy is sucking so hard that I wanted to give my customers one less thing to worry about as far as "inflation"...hoping we can ride the storm out together.:usflag:

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

As a rule, no increases this year. I raised prices substantially last year & pre-ordered first 3 rounds close to '07 prices:)

Our county has the highest unemployment rate in the state: >15% :dizzy:
    I'm afraid to see what this season will bring. Oh well, this is nothing like our grandparents went through in the great depression! We'll just keep workin away:usflag:

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I went 5%. Last year I went 8% and in 06 4%. Fert. is locked in at 07 pricing as of last week. I toyed with no increase but I know I'm low to start with. I get flyers from the national companies that make me feel very comfortable with 5%. I hate to say it, but I'd rather lose a few and make more profit at the end of the year.

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I raised price on about 20% of my customers this year. I do a per man hour estimate on each customer. Anybody under $200/hr got an increase. I had a very substantial increase last year so I can keep my increases down this year.

9. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

none for me.. i am raping them as it is... LOL

only kidding ...
    some are getting a incerase...

10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good one Ant. It all depends on your situation and how you compare pricewise with your competition. I am on the high end compared to my competition so I have to be within reason. I will go through my list and raise a few of the lower priced customers, but thats about it price raise wise.