Price Increase On Exmarks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ace56320, Sep 28, 2004.

1. ace56320

ace56320 LawnSite Member

Is it just me or is the rest of the industry seeing large price increases for '05. The exmark 27hp 60" will be around $9100 next year. I am a dealer and I have been noticing that i am starting to lose more deals than in years past. When I ask the customer whats-up they seem to imply price was a big issue. i also carry ariens witch owns gravley. should i be considering offering gravely to my price conscious customers? Is gravley a better value? if the cutters out there can save 10% on equipment cost would you switch brands? :help:
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

When I purchased my scag tiger cub this spring I was checking prices. I cant remember the model but it was the compact x-mark. 48'' deck and kohler engine same as the scag. Also I was looking at a toro also with a 52'' inch deck. The toro and scag were very close in price and I had experience with both toro and scag walk behinds so i was familar with the decks of each. I really liked the scag deck best and it won out over the toro. The ex mark was $1500 dollars more and I question the dealer. He said that is the price. Well I dont know about the pumps or hydraulic motors but all 3 mowers had the same kohler engine and the same size deck.I could not see spending more for the exmark. 2 other lco have them here(ex-mark) and I can say i dont see the difference in the cut, or i dont see $1500 for the same mower. One of the other lco has taken notice of my machine (we cut side by side in an industrial park) and he says he make have to look at the scag next time he buys equipment. I think with lots of buissness taking bids and the cost of fuel and everything that LCO may have to do things different to keep the bottum line where it needs to be
  3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Part of the reason I justed purchased a Hustler Super Z. I have used Exmark for 7 years, but between a poor dealer and high prices, I swithed.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Steel prices are driving up the price of parts and equ. of all brands.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We sell Grasshopper and Gravely. Both have done a great job of holding the line on prices this year. Gravely had no increase, and Grasshopper only went up about 4%. Don't know what next year will bring, but we can be really competitive with these two brands.
  6. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark and toro are way overpriced in my opinion. When I bought my Toro 52" turboforce it was $1000 more than gravely, but I had in my head that toro cut the best so that's what I bought. Now that I am looking for a 44" rider I'm not spending the extra $1600 to get a toro or exmark. A large cutter here in waco used to only run toro's and scags, just recently he switched to the 260 gravelys and says they are doing great and his guys love them. I doubt I'll buy another exmark or toro product until they realize they can't charge 30% more than their competitors.
  7. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

everything that is made of steal is goin up.... exmark is goin up 7-11 percent thats what payup terry on exmark forum said.. get use to get guys it sucks but we cant do much bout it.. for instance i went to the hardware store a month a go bought nails for my paslode and it was $70.. went back this week and paid almost $100.. its not the dealers its the STEAL.. so if u know a way we can get the prices down let me know ... good luck... Exmark is my brand for life i dont care wut it cost's!! :cool2:
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest problem I see is that this industry has failed to keep up with inflation for the last 20+ years. There's not really much that anyone can do about that one. There's just too many people out there with mowers willing to work for pennies. With that being said, the manufacturers (who are trying to compensate for inflation) need to realize we are going to look for alternatives so we can stay in business. What we are going to look for is an affordable, reliable machine that can still provide us with the quality we demand.

Just like most industries. You don't want to price yourself out of a market, but you don't want to be the cheapest either. If Exmark, and some of the others, want to maintain their sales volume they need to find ways to stay competitive without sacrificing quality. I would hate to see any of them go out of business.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Exmarks do not cost 30% more than any competition that actually compares.
    If you want to compare a snapper to an exmark then I suppose you might have a 30% difference, but on the other hand I will produce 30% more with an exmark than you will with a snapper.
    I love to hear people talk about the overpriced Exmarks when in reality the major competition to exmark is in the SAME price range.
    Build a business, buy good quality equipment from a good quality dealer and you will no longer pay such a premium.
    Go ahead ,ask me how I know..............
  10. hustler1

hustler1 LawnSite Member

when I bought my 52" Huster last year it was a result of having gone to the exmark dealer earlier that day. The ex mark had only a 48 inch deck....and a 17 hp kohler versus the hustler 24 hp honda....and the exmark did not have the standard suspension seat that the super mini hustler had (it was a $400 option)....and after all that the hustler was over $1000 cheaper! Getting into things further I found the the hustler had hard plumbing lines to the pumps and a separate fan cooled hydraulic oil cooler similar to a radiator or automotive transmission cooler. Needless to say...I was sold on the hustler and purchased it on the spot. You are correct.....ex mark is pricing themselves out of the business that they previously controlled.