1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

price increase

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Skier125, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Skier125

Skier125 LawnSite Member

I charged 11 dollars an hour because it was my first year and i was only 17 and i want to increase but im wondering if increasing to 17 is too much or too little what do you guys think. I mostly did mulch and all of the customers had already ordered mulch or wanted to order it themselves. So what do you guys think I should do increase hourly or change to flat rates?
  2. I'm assuming your doing this as a side gig....

Even at that, 11/hour is rediculous. You should be at 20-25 easily. But here's the issue, if you ever want to go into this as a legit business, your rates would need to significantly go up. I would start charging legit business rates, bc you are hurting yourself and others the low rates. I hope this didn't come off harsh. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

All new customers should start in the 20's ,your old ones if you like them bump them up a little to 20.
  4. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

$17. $20 minimum. Don't throw away money
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on your knowledge and value... if you're worth more they won't balk at the idea of paying more... learn to 'estimate' a project in hours and multiply it by 20-25 and say the total for the job... if its low its low,,, but they may balk at $25/hr even if you're superman in the mulch beds...
  6. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa, if this kid has this as a side job and is making 17/hr cash and all he needs is a wheelbarrow and a shovel I would say 17/hr is a fair price. He is not responsible for delivery, payment of product or anything. He has zero overhead and being 17 or 18 I doubt he is what you would call "professional" so he shouldn't demand "professional" rates or even "man hour" rates. If he starts charging 25/hr he probably will price himself out of work because people will hire professional companies for a bit more. I know my company will come in and at 50-60 an hour and lay mulch and get it done in 1/2 the time and be less of a head ache because we will pick it up, deliver and not leave any excess in your driveway. We can bang out 10-yd jobs with two guys in 5 hours easy

Bottom line I would stick with the 15-17 range. You have a good thing going and for a bit you may find a successful nitch until you decide to really go pro if that's what you want to do. But if it's a side thing through college or something there is no shame in charging 17/hr to do the work. What's the alternative? Doing the same thing on a landscape crew for 10/hr.