Price List Distortion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DND Outdoor, Apr 30, 2005.

1. DND Outdoor

DND Outdoor LawnSite Member

I have noticed that much of the Pricing reference listed here is probably under "optimal conditions". I have tried to bring my prices up here in South East Michigan and have noticed an increase in lost jobs this year even with better advertising. I don't think it is just the kid down the street either. I lost a 3 acre ROUGH sub lot that was no picnic to mow because a local established company came in and bid the cutting for $70 a week. SO based on the $60 per acre I see on here a lot that is pretty much pay for one get two free. I have bid $28 on residential lots almost 10K with a lot of weed whipping and still beat out by lower bids. I'm not slamming anyone but for those who have been the subject to the wrath of "youre too low you are ruining the business with your scrub prices" I am just saying keep in mind that a lot of the prices here won't accurately reflect all areas. Many area are financially depressed and you have to reduce prices accordingly or charge in relation to the market in your particular area. Yes it is sometimes hard to make a living at it, thats why they call it work! I live in the one of the richest countys in the country and as a small bussiness can't command some of the higher prices, Maybe if I was bigger and could handle some of those 20K+ landscape jobs for the wealthy then maybe I could turn that kind of profit. Fact is like many of you I am small and can't handle something that big. Not a complaint, just the way it is. Best of luck to you all........D

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Just charge what the market can bear. :)