price my job please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Mar 25, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

today i gave a quote. the lady asked me to do the same job the guy quoted her. she handed me the estimate sheet(with the price cut out) and a printout of the final product. i didn't get the job. i came in much higher than the other guy. he has a big company and does very beautiful work. here is the job: site is very accesible, i'm talkin pull the truck right up to the work area. remove about 2200 sq ft of turf. install 51'- 3 tier retaining wall (interlocking). bring in 8 yds of topsoil, 2 yds double ground root mulch, 5 ton 3/4" red stone. one 12'clump birch, one weeping norway spruce(5-6 ft), one 7-8 ft deodora cedar, 4 korean boxwood(3 gal container), one dwarf alberta spruce (20-24") 2 hydraingia(2 gal cont), 4 gold tip juniper(2 gal cont), 4 daylillis, 2 spiral juniper (5 ft range), 2 dwarf blue spruce, 4 ornamental grasses(1 gal pot), 2 flats assorted annuals. weed barrier for under the stone. then, install 2000 sq ft sod. the soil is very workable, flat, no sprinklers to work around. i was very surprised when i gave her my quote, and she showed me his. again the guy is a pro, i've seen his work, he's reputable and proffessional. thanx
  2. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

one hundred million dollars, muahhahahaha.... payup

its hard to tell with jobs like that, some people just get lucky, IMO
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I'll try: Rent skid steer for sod removal & soil. So figure $2000 sod strip & install, $55/cu yd soil (if moved by machine, $80/yd if barrowed), $60/yd root mulch installed. 5 ton red approx 60/toin w/ machine, $100/ton w/barrow, EPHenry Nurserywallstone or similar $7-$7.50/piece (153 pieces), Price of all shrubs *2.5-3 of cost to install and guarantee. I don't have time to tally it for u, but it is a ballpark 4 ya.
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Bob ...really hard to do for you, especially with your info... what time of stone. for retaining wall? We use almost exclusively tumbled pisa 2 ... 3 courses plus a cap? ... what is the square meters that the stone is covering? ok square ft will do .. how thick do you want the red stone. I have an estimating program that I would punch the numbers in and have a quote in a matter of a few minutes. It's all programed for our material though. Example the retain wall ..programed for pisa 2 ...mulch is shredded cedar... etc. Stone...well red shale went out of style here years ago ...messy chit.

After just a real quick look at your post...hate to guess but 10k give or take a couple of k

What was your quote
  5. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Can we assume this lady took the professionals drawing and showed that to you as well?

This should be a good lesson in NOT LEAVING DESIGNS WITH CUSTOMERS (unless they pay for them). I don't think Bobby would have made the same mistake!
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

i quoted exactly 10 k. the other guy was $6,200. nice work he does. they get in, get out, move on quickly. can't call him a lowballer, he's doin something right. but i was very surprised
  7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Approx $2,100.00 for materials. Yeah,, approx $4,000.00 for labor is good. Prob take me a week (guess).
    A reasonable price $6K
  8. kris

from nowhere

It's always nice to get a look at others pricing but you can't let those prices dictate what you would quote. Do you still stand by your quote Bob or do you figure you error ed?

Heres a real small one I sold yesterday ... take a shot at it

New home ..rough grade completed - now needs 10cm (4")soil all over to bring it up to final grade
    access-- front yard is ok but small- back yard is small machine only(MT50)

Area for soil and sod is : 183 (200 sq yards)sq meters

3- 2" caliper trees

I'll save you a bit of time... you'll need approx -25 cubic yards of soil....200 yds sod
  9. bobbygedd

from NJ

what's the sq ft for the sod? yes jw, the guy gave her a beautiful full color printout of the job, and she showed me. that's what i priced.on another job, i cut this guys grass a few times cus he broke his leg. he had just had landscaping done. i asked how much he paid. he said, well, what would your price have been? i came up with $7000. he said he paid $13,000. prices vary so much from contractor to contractor. get this, across the street from the first job, the lady just moved in, and called for landscaping, she went with the first guy that came by. he put in a 60 ft paver walkway, cheap nasty looking shrubbery...about 5 rhodedenrons, 8 ilex compacta holly, eight 7-8 ft arbrovitea, 2500 sq ft of sod. he got $30,000!!! it was a new development, he picked up 3-4 others on the same block. half the plants died, and he won't replace them, 4 of the neighbors are taking him to court.
  10. kris

from nowhere

around 1969 sq ft

I assumed you would just need the sq yard on sod since that is how it is sold here.