Price of Fuel: Is Diesel Ever Going to be Worth it Again?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jbell36, Feb 19, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

of course the year i decide to buy 3 diesel trucks the price of diesel jumps up, and has not gone down since...does anyone know why diesel is more expensive? and will it ever be cheaper than gas again?

diesels don't seem to be worth it anymore...diesels today are what, $6,000 - $8,000 more, and now they have all the emissions on them killing fuel economy, then diesel fuel is more expensive

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, the only place I see for diesel is in heavy equipment and guys who use their trucks to haul a 20k loaded trailer daily.

3. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

Not only the higher fuel costs but also the higher maintenance and repair bills. My dumper is diesel and am looking at a new 3/4 ton and definitely thinking I'm going the gasser route

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my diesel. I have a 6.5 and my MPG is so much better than my old dodge gasser. I love the fact that for plowing I can run longer with out having to fill up. Thats why I got it, granted I don't tow huge loads but it makes up for plowing (yes this snow season sucked and will continue to suck).

This year I'm really keeping a eye out for a second truck, to use as a back up. That one will be a gasser. I really don't like running one truck for plowing, incase of break downs. Also second truck in future to be turned into a mowing truck, and save the diesel for landscaping and such.

5. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

i also loved my 03 duramax, however due to poor warranty and high repair expense i just got a new 2012 25 .....gas, miss the torque but not the smell

6. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

should be 2500 hd

7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

Gas trucks are fine for mowing routes. And this repairs on diesel cost more. But in the three years of owning my diesel compared to my gas truck the gas truck has cost me more in repairs. Also my mpg are vastly different the gas truck is getting 12 with the mowing trailer while the diesel is getting 17. I personally would take a diesel any day of the week over a gas truck.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of repairs though? Apples-Apples it would have to Engine repairs to make the comparison.

I work on my vehicles and rarely do I take them to a shop. If I have a motor failure, it will still cost me way less to find a drop in motor over finding a diesel replacement, but that's my situation.

Another thing to think about also is bigger trucks. Cab and Chassis trucks such as my C3500HD, (or comparable f-450) are geared so low that the mileage difference is minimal when comparing gas vs. diesel.

Not trying to create any arguments, just adding to the conversation.

9. scottslawncareav

scottslawncareav LawnSite Member

its the environmentalists that make the price of diesel sky rocket dam air quality control :confused:

10. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

that's true...what about the NPR and Mits Fuso trucks? those are only four cylinders, the diesels anyways, so you would think they are geared lower, anyone know for sure? so would the fuel savings be that much better? i guess comparing it to an 8 cylinder it would have to get better MPG's no matter what the gears...