price of lime

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jbturf, Nov 28, 2007.

1. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

what have you guys (those who use it) payed this year
    for pelletized lime?

i used 25-26 pallets of lime this year
    and paid $.07225/ per pound

i pay about the same price landscapers pay that
    use 1 pallet or less each year.
    feel as though i should pay less.

anyone take in truck loads of lime- better pricing?

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just payed 0.1298/Lb at Lesco yesterday.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

As you are probably aware there are different qualities of lime (CCE or calcium carbonate equivelant, particle size etc.). When you buy lime make sure you are getting the best lime for the money. The cheapest lime usually is cheap for a sucks.

Not sure about where you live, but we buy BULK lime (Calcium Carbonate -CaCO3- for the farm) and it runs about $22.00/Ton.

You would have to see if there are any stone querries close to you. The farther you are the more it costs unless you pick it up.

Not sure if handling bulk would be worth the savings to you or not...but you can definitly save some dollars!

Good Luck!
  4. checked a price to lime some soccer fields and was quoted $9.50 per ton to spread 30 tons.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What is the quality of this lime, have you checked?

I would be very skeptical of lime at this price!

Are you applying due to soil tests coming back with a low pH and bpH?

How many soccer fields are you going to apply 30 ton? 30 ton of lime isn't that much really...but that is a lot of lime for soccer fields!

6. yep done soil tests , around 15 acres, very bad ground, this is farm country with several quarries very close by actually two within 3 miles and some good lime spreaders.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is a great deal (that is if the lime is fine and has a good CCE and RNV)! It helps when the quarries are close like that.
  8. actuall there are 5 quarries in the county so your never to far from one, this is some material we spread on it this fall, the company donated the material to the organizations for there field. . I have really wanted to spread chicken litter on this field but backed off as the fields are in town and I didn't want to get run out of town on account of the smelll but it would help a lot and the material would be free as well.
  9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Shop around. If you feel you're paying to much, then try a different supplier. Absolutely you should pay less if you buy a truck load or more. Allyndale out of NW connecticut is good stuff, and I know they do better on volume purchases.
  10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i have been using the allyndale lime for a couple years now,
    and really like it. it is always clean product, and very fine
    prill size consistenly. i recall checking the cce in the past, and
    suprised to find it higher than some more expensive options.

thanks for the replies,
    any idea on contact info for allyndale, maybe i can bypass the middleman.