1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Price of Retaining Walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by gstros2, Nov 27, 2009.

1. gstros2

gstros2 LawnSite Member

How do you charge for a retaining wall? Do you charge by each block and then add the labor? If you do charge by the block, how much? Thank you!

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. gstros2

gstros2 LawnSite Member

pppppfffffffffffffffttttttttt.......hahahahahahahaha.....good one funny guy....sike haha

4. klaf

klaf LawnSite Member

It all depends on the type of job. Each site will have different issues to deal with. How is the access, what type of block are you using, how high is the wall, do you need grid behind the wall.

All of these things need to be accounted for and will differ from job to job. Retaining walls can be one of the hardest things to price. After doing a couple you will figure out your things you might have missed in your pricing. But I would advise against just giving a square foot price.

5. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Material + time (only you can decide what that's worth) + overhead + profit.
    Every job is different, charging by the sq. ft. or by the block is not advisable.

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I factor several things into the price for a wall:

-How many square feet of block will be used for base course? (It takes a lot longer to install these blocks than the rest of the wall)
    -How many square feet of block will be used for the rest of the wall?
    -How much material needs to be excavated for the wall, how long will it ake to move it on site or to remove it from site?
    -If geogrid is needed how much additional soil needs to be excavated and reinstalled?
    -Time and materials for drain pipe and gravel behind the wall.
    -How long will it take to get the block from truck to wall? will it be moved there by hand or machine?
    -Is block cutting required? (more labor)
    -Will there be lawn repair?
    -Is the customer indecisive, likes to talk your ear off, extremely picky? Charge more.

7. csl

csl LawnSite Member

i dont think i have enough fingers and toes to count how many times this question has been asked. PSU got it just right. how many factors do you have?????

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

well what if it is the only job you will have for 3 weeks. you need to factor that in also.

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

5 bux less then the guy they just met with. how else do you plan on getting ahead in this business.