Price of Seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by crazyman, Mar 5, 2008.

1. crazyman

crazyman LawnSite Member

I'm from Illinois area and was wandering if anybody could help me out with pricing a seeding job. Like how much does anyone charge to seed a plain dirt area. For example I need to bid a job that consist of new construction home. All of dirt is graded just wanting to rake in seed. Just curious as to what someone would charge per 1000 square feet for labor. I will figure in material thanks to anyone can help.

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

That a fairly small lawn to seed and shouldn't take long at all to do. If the area has been graded and there is nothing to do but seed your looking at some very easy money although not very much. Buy quality seed and good starter fertilizer and spread out fertilizer then seed with broadcast spreader then make sure to roll the newly seeded area for good seed to soil contact and water. The size area your doing will take less than an hour to complete so just figure your hourly rate and cost of materials and you should be fine. I would skip placing straw, this time of year its not needed and is more trouble than it worth anyway.

3. crazyman

crazyman LawnSite Member

Thanks Lawnpro

4. st.louis-rams-fan

st.louis-rams-fan LawnSite Member

Why do you say skip placing straw down this time of year? Also what is a good seed to use for a lawn that gets full sun all summer long?

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, straw is bad, but you will need something to prevent wash, tis the season for downpours. use penn mulch or something like that,

we charge per hour not by size. verticutters are at 45 per man hr, per machine and tractor is usually 120 per hr or so

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

seed, use turf type tall fescue blend, lesco has some, i use bwi brand 5star fescue and love it, defiance is good too, get it from helena chemical.a 80%fescue/20%bluegrass is good too.

7. st.louis-rams-fan

st.louis-rams-fan LawnSite Member

thanks GRASSMAN177

i am still amazed at how much this site helps my busines grow. where would i find penn mulch ? also do i put it down like straw or is there a different method.