price of walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, May 27, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Hey all,just wondering if someone could tell me if this is a good deal:

48 inch,12.5 HP,kawasaki kees walk behind(belt),1 year old,good condition,no problems.Used only on private lawn for personal use(for only 1 year).He said he bought it $2,500 new,wants to sell for $1,800.Sound ok?Note,doesn't include sulky or bagger!Also,do these types of mowers disperse grass well...and how much would it be to get a bagger?or can you get a mulch kit for it?thanks,any input is welcome.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

given your age, you might want to check local laws on using any thing larger than 21" for profit:( I remember seeing something related to this subject wayback 2-3 months ago.
    Besides that fact, you might need to invest in a business license if you plan on using that caliber/size of a machine! But also once again that also may not be possible considering your age.
    Yes I Know I Am As Old As You!

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It is my opinion that a 12.5 is not big enough for a 48. Even a 14 hp is a bit underpowered for a 48" mower. Back in "The Day" when people were happy mowing at speeds of 1,2 and 3 mph this engine might have sufficed but if you wanna get out of 1st or 2nd gear you should look for something with more engine.

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

that too

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

A belt drive 48 with a 12.5 will be enough power.
    Hydro would be a different story.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a old bobcat 48 with a 12.5 kawasaki. Definitly under powerd in most conditions. Im considering replacing it with a 17 kawasaki this winter on my time off. Im surprised a year old 48inch mower has a 12.5..... most mower manufactures starting making a 14 standard on 48's years ago.

7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

My 36" has a 15 horspower i would try to use his mower on a few of your lawns of you could some how just my 2 cents

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I had one a kees 48 with that engine, a belt drive. Slower than a turtle, and cut like crap. Just save a bit more money and try to get a hydro would be my advise to you.

9. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Hey i have 2 kees walkbehinds a 36" with a 12.5hp and a 48" with a 14hp They cut good and stripe nice there both 2000 models i paid 2400 for the 48" during a summer sale so u could buy a new one and be better off the bagger cost 250 well thats wat i paid for it last year its made good but i bent the frame whne i hit a pole so maybe u should get a grass gobbler

10. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Low HP comes back to haunt you in many ways, generaly speaking more hp is always better.