Price Ok!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Mar 7, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I have the chance of having a large cemetary to do for the city this year. The guy (former chief of police) that did it last year charged by the hour 18.00 dollars. I am planning on charging 22.00, what do you guys think of this price, what do some of you charge by hour? I plan on it taking me and helper 30 hours or more!

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I assume your using your own equipment? I couldn't do it.
    Is the 22.00 an hour for you AND your help? (assuming the cop was doing it for 18.00 an hour with no help)
    If your using your equipment, figure 10.00 an hour to run a mower & trimmer. Down to 12.00 an hour. Then throw in ALL the other expences....... how much left over? I would rather be in the A/C flipping burgers while someone orders into the clown's head.

3. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Seems a bit low to me. Are you going to be using your equipment? What size are yuor mowers?

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Costs me $105 PER DAY (every day) to run my truck, trailer, 2 riders & walk behind, trimmer & blower. JUST THE EQUIPMENT FOR EACH CREW. That doesn't include EMPLOYEE PAY, INSURANCE, ADVERTISING, TAXES, RENT and other overhead.

If you are only charging $22 per hour, one or/both of the following apply.

1) YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR COSTS. You need to figure them out!

2) You are UNINSURED, UNLICENSED, NOT PAYING TAXES on you and/or EMPLOYEE. You need to get LEGAL or it might bite you!

Are you a full time LCO, or is this an "extra money" gig. Because if it is full time, at $22 per hour I don't see how you can pay for health insurance, house payment, etc., and come out better then what you would make working some A/C job.

Finally, my experience with MUNICIPAL jobs are that they are SLOW PAY and a PITA.

Mike

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Think you summed it up pretty good, Mike.

6. GreenMachine102

I'm going to be honest to you guys (which most on this site are not) I am a solo operation, I'm 19 yrs old, and I am not insured, i only have 20 or so yards, so I see no point, unless your a big operation in having insurance, license etc. The 22 an hr is for me and my brother who may help out a little. I also work for a contractor 2 days a week in the summer, this is some extra hustle. I'll get about 660/week. How much do you guys think I should charge an hour?

I appreciate any help/suggestions!

RYan

7. GreenMachine102

Oh and I was considering a 27hp 52inch lazer, but with the amount of yards I got, and this cemetary, I am going to get a Lazer Z HP 44 in. 20hp kohler.

8. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

You should charge what full time professionals would charge in your area. Probably ranges from $35-$55/hr. If you decide to do this full time you will then realize that you were not charging enough.
    Keep in kind that these retired people that do this kind of work are usually getting retirement/pension checks every month so the mowing is just for spending money. I had an 80 yr. old guy in my town that drove all over town on his new JD 455 mowing for half of what a professional charged. He got fired a lot because he would hit rocks and water meter covers and then try to get the homeowner to pay for the damage to his deck.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

$22 per hour is too cheap in my opinion. What happens if the first time you mow it, it takes 12 hours. Then the next time, because you now know the layout from the first mowing only takes you 11 hours. Already you are screwing yourself out of money if you are charging hourly. Or what happens if you upgrade to a larger mower and now it only takes you 10 hours.

10. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member