1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price on 16 FT trailer W/ Cage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

There is a 16ft trailer with a cage for trimmers and all on the front of it and a spare tire for $1300 here for sale has good boards a back gate that you can drive up. Is taged till feb 2002 The cost new is $1650 this one has been used maybe 6 months. Is this worth the money?
  2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'd look at:
    1 the tires,
    2 are the boards treated, and painted underneath
    3- you should have to tag it in your name anyway
    4 brakes? you need them
    5 bulldog hitch? better with.
    6 3500 lb axles at least 5000lb preferrable
    7 does the toung go back to the frame under the trailer, or only welded to the frame at the front? back to the first wheel is better
    8 is the ramp strong enough for 2000 lbs, or better, could you drive a small car on it? most of the Big mowers you may run are pushing 1500 lbs these days
    9- most of the above pushes the new price above 2000 bucks, and will benefit you the life of the trailer. is it worth saving 500 bucks?, or the cost of a good backpack blower?

Dave g
  3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

In my area that is a great price for that trailer!
  4. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

The trailer has good tires the wood is painted but I did not look under it to see if it was there I did not ask or see if it had brakes on it but I will if I go to buy it. I am waiting on the answer for a bid I gave to a cemetary the board members meet on the 11th and will decide on my bid if I get this job I will have the $$ to get a trailer. I am slowley getting what I need it is hard just starting back in the biz.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought one like you are looking at for 1,000 last summer and everyone that sees it says I "stole" it. It has brakes on one axle and a treated floor. I had to put 2 tires on it. Your price sounds about right unless it needs tires, floor, or has no brakes. Knock about 200.00 off the price for EACH of the three problems listed if they apply. Good luck with your purchase and mowing bid.