1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price on Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, May 19, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Hey,I'm kind of a newbie here,and I need some new yard equipment(self-propelled mower,blower,edger,weed-eater)....when would be the best time to buy that stuff,season wise i mean?Let me re-state that,does it cost less to buy lawn equipment like mowers and weed-eaters,that you usually use in the summer,if you buy those products in the winter.Also,could you fill me in on some good brands to buy...I've bought craftsman before,but I'm thinking now I may try and go a little bigger,and would that effect which season i should buy them in.I know these questions are stupid but it would really help me out if 4 or 5 people could reply to this,that way im getting info from many different sources,thanks.Also,it would help me more if you were from missouri,because we actually have winter out here,unlike in california,where its still 65 degrees and people are still mowing,but no matter where you're from,please reply to this! Thanks.,
  2. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

don't know how much you are wanting to get into this prof., but a TORO 44 inch is a good starter mower. still use one, and will keep on using it. great mower. good luck to ya.
  3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about getting something bigger than the Craftsman, but something more efficient, durable, and suited to commercial work. IMO, there are no bad commercial mowers, only that some are better than the others. The biggest issue is your budget. Around here none of the dealers will give you a better price. I guess a lot of people decided to use tax return checks to purchase equipment. If you are already in business, the little you may save would be better spent now to have better stuff.