Price on multiple plantings

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by theguynextdoor, May 28, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I know alot of you charge something like 2X retail for tree/shrub plantings. I did that when I planted a tree for someone. I am planting 7 evergreen trees for someone along with other trimming, mulch, and stone work. These trees costs $169.99 retail, and $116.00 wholesale(my cost). They are 9 gallon containers by the way. I will be picking these up and bringing them to the house. What would you charge for them? (Including tree price and planting.) 2x retail would be very expensive for each tree.

Also I have another job where I will be planting 20 5 foot tall aborvites that cost me around $40 each. There is a lot of other work being done also. What would you charge to for the aborvites including pricing. I know how to do the work, but I'm still unsure on how to price stuff like this efficiently. I can price my labor, but how do you normally mark up materials?

Thanks for the input

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

$272.60 per tree
    $95.00 per arb

jmo

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

i echo these prices, sound good to me

dont be afraid to make some money. you have to make a PROFIT!!!

4. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

How did you come up with that price? It sounds like a good price to me, thanks.

5. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

We used to do 2.5 times wholesale. Either way i like to put a round price on plant pricing. I'ld take the avg between retail and wholesale and double it. $280 per tree. Remember, you gotta go get it, deliver it, dig the hole, stake it, warranty it. That all comes at a price. Oh and profit too.

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

sounds good to me!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Be careful though. I have more than a handful of clients who frequent the local nursuries. Say I'm like you, 165 retail, 110 for my discount. So, I shoot the price up to $185. So, when a client snoops around they don't think I'm jacking up the price too high. I've been called out more than a few times.

If you have the right client, jack it up higher.