price on power seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 4, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

about to give a bid this evening on thatching, power seeding. the area is 26, 000 sq. ft. . we will thatch, powerseed, and bring 3 yds of topsoil to fill some holes. we will seed at a heavier than usual rate ( about 7 lbs per thousand) , using a rye, fescue, blue grass mix. this is our biggest seeding job yet, and was wondering what others might bid. my bid is done, and im presenting it tonight. just curious. and, also starter fert.

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thatching - .02 per sq.ft. x 26,000 = $520
    Powerseeding (including seed) .03 per sq.ft. x 26,000 = $780
    Fert. - $4 per M sq.ft x 26,000 = $104
    Topsoil (delivered & installed) - $95 per yard x 3 yards = $285

Total - $1689 plus tax

I wouldn't go any lower than $1500, and that price would only be for a really good customer ...

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

wow, i aint gettin this job. let me see a few more bids before i give mine

4. KLMlawn

Gee, from the sound of it, I take it that you are actually saying I am lowballing it...
    NEVER been accused of that before ...:eek:

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

no no, not saying that u r lowballin. i just may be highballin it. our properties usually average around 3,000 sq. ft. this , at 26,000 is by far the largest we ever bid, and im using the same formula as i do for the small properties. after reading your bid, which im sure is a good solid bid, i think i may have to rework mine taking into consideration this is a single property, and cant price using the same formula. still like a few more bids. i went WAY HIGHER than that

6. KLMlawn

Well, the areas that I may be off on would be Thatching ... I know that the price for thatching can vary widely, it also depends on what method you are using - a 20" w/b thatcher vs. JRCO attatchment to a ZTM - are you blowing/mowing up the thatch or raking it together?
    Also, if you break down the seed price, I usually get $3 a pound for seed ( the seed you specified I get for about .89 a pound) and then just added another penny or so for using the renovator to slice it into the ground. You could just spread the seed without bothering to slice it in and would probably get good results if you have the flail blades set low enough when thatching. If you have the JRCO tine rake attatchment for a ZTM, you could easily do a double pass first to thatch, with the blades on to collect it as you go along, then put the seed down and run the attatchment over it one more time without the blades on to "slice" it into the ground. That is what I do and have great result !!! Granted I usually do that in conjuction with aeration, but even so, those JRCO tine rakes take alot of work out of the work ...:D
    Fert price I would say is in the ballpark with everyone else for that area.
    Topsoil, well I pay about $12-$14 a yard, get $15 a yard to deliver it, and then about an hours labor per yard to spread it.
    If you wanted me to see if I could bump up the price a bit and still be fair to the customer I could maybe see going as high as about $2000, give or take, but I would think at that price, I probably would not get the job.

7. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Thatch, depends on how much comes up so that is not known by me but would verticut,seed and fert for 1560.00. We charge 150.00 for yd. of topsoil installed. (450.00) Maybe a few hours labor for thatch removal 3@ 50.00=150.00.
    450.00=2160.00 plus tax

I might be higher than some but I always tell them they get what they pay for.

8. KLMlawn

One other thing ... if you look at it as a whole, one guy could do that job in a day.
    You would spend about $200 for seed and fert.
    Maybe another $200 if you rent a renovator and thatcher for a day.
    And you might have a 1/2 ton of material at most to dump. $25
    So at $1600+ minus about the $400 in expenses, that leaves you with a $1200 profit for the day ... not bad if you ask me.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

we charge $85 per thousand sq. ft to thatch, power seed, and fert. i bid at $2500. we get alot of work on the smaller properties using this formula. maybe a bit too high on bigger props? we shall see. no answer yet.....