Price on tree?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SodFather, Feb 16, 2001.

1. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

Got a customer that wants to buy my Japenese Maple thats 10ft. Anybody know what one would go for this size? or about how much?.

Thanks

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Cash and carry or are you going to transplant it? Is it from a seedling, or a tissue culture specimen?

4. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

Im gonna Transplant it for him, I have no idea if it was from a seedling or not it was on the property when we moved in.

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

If you ask in the landscape forum you might get an answer.
    wholesale 10'Acer Palmatum $240.00

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Around here balled and burlaped for about a 5-6 footer would be about 200 - 300. A ten footer would be at least 500 or more. Here that is.

7. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

around here its about 100 per ft or approx 20 gal 200 30 gal 300. but i cound be so dead wrong

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It's really what the customer is willing to pay. My next door neighbor has a HUGE Japanese Laceleaf maple (Acer palmatum dissectum 'everred') that would sell for $3000 at a nursery around here. And he wants to get rid of it. But the problem is they aren't selling very often any more. So unless I can find a client who specifically wants this plant, and wants it bad enough to pay big bucks for it, he's gonna sell it to a local nursery for $100. Bummer. But what else can he do? The nursery already has 20 or 30 of them, many of which have sat their for years before they sold.

Do you know the variety? There are a lot of jap. maples. And if you do, give me the diameter of the trunk (in inches) and I can tell you what that tree would go for here.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Jim just wondering on that maple, we don't grow a lot of them here but my books tell me they only get 8' tall but 12' wide? We can buy them for $200 (at 6') now I know that a mature one will be very wide but lack of root pruning and shock can cause a lot of damage to them here.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen a few bigger than that, but not many. They take decades to ever get that big. It all depends on variety. Within the 'dissectum' viriety (which are the small, lace-leaf jap. maples) there are a good 8 or more sub-species.

6' tall is a damn big jap laceleaf maple. You sure we're talking about the same thing? Because a 6' tall one here would be in the thousands.

Incidentally, all of these kinds of jap maples are propogated and grafted when they are young. You can't grow them from seed and you don't find them in nature. The seeds they produce would create a tall jap. maple.