Price or service which is key to equipment purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walkerrider, May 5, 2000.

1. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

When your buying equipment is it price or service that you choose. Given a choice to buy the same piece of equipment either locally or 70 miles away would you travel to save $500. I would be interested in anyones stories regarding which choice they made and how it turned out.

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a guy in town that sells Walker and I don't deal with him!He will rip you off when ever he can and has little amounts of parts in stock.I bought my Walker at a very awsome dealership 1/2 hour away.It was cheaper there,they have a huge selection in parts,they know what they are doing when it comes to repairs and best of all they are very freindly.I take my walker there for repairs becouse it is well worth it!I will do this any time!In my opinion service is a key to a good busines!If you have lousy service you will lose time and money!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care

3. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

Hey AB your story sounds like mine. When I bought my new machine I felt like a couple of the local dealers where doing me abig favor to sell ma a $9K piece of equipment. As you know Wlaker works through distributors who in turn like to channel you to onl;y a couple of local dealers. The result is that these local guys feel like they have little or no competition. I ended up with a great dealer in New Hampshire, Greenlands Power Equipment. I had to drive the 1 hour but the guys where great adding a few freebies to my order (blades,filters etc) and they got me the best finance deal 2 8%. So I run the risk of having to rely on the local guys for warranty work but Im pretty handy with a wrench and if push came to shove I would gladly return to Greenlands for work. It didn't hurt that I saved over $500 in the process either.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I find that a good dealer with plenty of parts and good service is worth paying extra money for the machine if the dealer won't budge on the price. Good dealers are good to find, but sometimes hard to find.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I agree with eric. common sense rules (eventhough I think I'm gonna jump outta' my skin sometimes)!<p>GEO

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I also agree with Eric and GEO. I'll pay a little extra to have good service.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Everything breaks sometime. I know firsthand how important service is. The dealer that sold me my first Walker is almost retired. He is 30 miles away. My current dealer is 5 miles away and even though he is just getting started I will go to him regardless of price. <br>An example of good service is his 1/2 hour service promise-if he can't fix it on my trailer in 1/2 hour - I get a loaner to use until mine is fixed. That is worth the extra money just knowing that.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

To me good service is worth something, but what is more important is having a number of dealers in the market. Say there is one Grasshopper dealer within 45 miles, but he is a really good dealer. Then there are 4 Dixie Chopper dealers in the same area. If all things are equal and I like both mowers, I will go with the Dixie. There will be more chances of finding parts and a much slimmer chance of having a falling out with all 4 dealers. <p>Dealers I have purchased from, that I thought were so great have proved to be just average after dealing with them. Finding a dealer (around here)that will take care of you after the sale isn't very easy.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I drive 2 hours to the same dealer that Adam goes to and it is worth every penny. Lower price and alot better service department than any of the other dealers that are closer to me. On another note two weeks ago I bought a fertilizer spreader fron the local Ford dealer for $429 then when we picked it up he charged us $25 for shipping from London (80 miles) we complained and said we should have just bought it in London ourselves. Two days later we get a flyer in the mail from a dealer in London with the exact spreader for $339 we asked the Ford dealer to match the price, he more or less told us to take a hike he doesn't have to match prices like a grocery store. I would like to shove the spreader up his as but I'm a nice guy. Instead I will bad mouth him every chance I get. I am biding the property across the road and will ask the customer if I can put up a sign saying CUT BY WALKER NOT FORD . Who's laughing now?

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

SERVICE! Totally! I go to a place that drops everything for me. he may be right in the middle of something but will come immediatly to help me. This all stems from LOYALTY! I visit him once or twice at least a week. I have even taken him out to dinner a couple of times to thank him. He may have had slightly higher prices i am not sure. I know that now i get only the best prices. Alot of times i get little freebies. Make your dealer your friend too. IF he is a good person at all then you wont be sorry. I know i ain't. Thanks CARL!