1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price per amount of education

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kcameron, May 22, 2002.

1. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

I have a question that I don't know how it will develop....This is my 2nd yr of doing this part time, althought I can't really count this year b/c of my activation and deployments, but I continue to do what I can and read what I can. My question centers around this.... Does the amount that most people charge equal the amount of education that they have? Meaning, I am realy good at the lawn maintenance (mowing, edging, etc.) of the buisness, but when it comes to the overseeding, soil sample reading for fert. and various "once in a while things" that I don't do too often, I find myself thinking "Well, I don't have that much experience in this, so I don't think I should charge as much as one who does". Any of this making any sense??? I price what I can to make a profit, and I try not to loose any money, but like I said, I am new at some of this. I know I have to start somewhere and I read and study all that I can when I can. Thanks for the advice and inputs. Kevin Cameron
  2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

the way I do things is...
    if I don't know how to do it right and well I don't do it at all.

I'm going to Purdue University in the fall to major in Landscape Horticulture and Design and I hope that I don't waste my time in there. I plan on having enough knowledge when I leave to run a LARGE full scale grounds instilation and management company or preferable own one. If you know that you don't have a clue how to do something, don't do it.
  3. I think as a general rule the more you do something the more you charge for it.
    With experience you learn exactly what is involved in doing something plus you have a better feel of the true value of that service, including how much people are willing to pay for it.
    One thing to keep in mind while starting out-you may have warranty issues that need to be allowed for, don't forget to add for that in your pricing.