price per bag of pelletized lime installed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn and stump, Mar 22, 2001.

1. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

What is the going rate in your area for materials and labor
    to apply 5- 40lbs bags of lime to 8000sq ft of lawn ?
    my cost per bag is $3 and I have been charging $10 spread per bag

2. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

Don't forget to figure in the cost's associated with your service. You must also figure in the time it take's you in addition to labor at the site for loading, and unloading of equipment too.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how long does it take you to spred a bag?? but that sounds pretty good.

4. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I would get a pallet of lime and 2 lesco spreaders.
    I have a list of about 20 clients that have requested lime
    and send my two guys out to spread. In the past I have charged $10 a 40 lb bag applied. just wondering if I'm leaving money on the table.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

L&S,

I'd say that I would charge more than that. I charged by the sq ft of job, not the bag. It doesn't take the average homeowner too long to figure out your costs when you tell them how many bags you'll use. By the bag, I would shoot as high as $15/bag, thats a $12/bag profit, less overhead. That figure is still low however.

[Edited by dixie1 on 03-22-2001 at 03:58 PM]

6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn and stump,

Your clients requested lime for their lawn based on what?? Its spring? They saw someone else doing it? It was on sale at Home Depot??

Rather then just go throw some lime and make a couple bucks you can make much more educating your clients by selling them a soil test. By selling these clients a soil test for $ 20 or $ 25 you will get back results showing them the exact amount of lime their property needs.

This shows them two things. First, it shows you as a professional who knows the needs of their lawn and understands the chemistry behind it. Secondly, if the tests come back that no lime is needed, then they will get the impression that you care about their lawns and arent out just to make a buck selling them something they dont need.

Sure you may lose a few dollars in a sale not made, but your value to the client will increase tremedously.

As far as actually charging for the service you have to price it like you would any other. Determine your direct costs, indirect costs and overhead plus desired profit. If there are no major differences between the properties and ph then you may be able to develop a price per square foot. However, if there are large differences in the soil ph between properties then you may want to bid them after figuring the actual amount of lime needed per site.

CMerLand

7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

most co's bill it out as the same as regular application of fertilizer maybe a little less.i know some companys who put down 6-7 applications of chemicals a year all worked into a yearly price.why don't you call up your competition on the phone and find out what they charge to see if you're in the same ballpark.

8. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I charge $15.00 per bag applied with a $30 minimum charge....Derrick