Price per bag to install mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mx315, Dec 4, 2007.

1. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a place that wants pine bark mulch installed, but around here it can only be bought by the 2cf bags. I will need 1760 bags... what kind of price should I charge per bag to install? It's at a hardware store and they are going to supply the mulch and just need a price for labor to install. We never install mulch only pine straw.

2. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

That seems like an awful lot of mulch for one Hardware store? If it is the correct amount I would charge between around $2600.00.

Also you could save your self alot of labor if you have them space the pallets all around the property with their forklift for you.

We usually charge between $20.00 and $25.00 per yard to install.

3. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it's a pretty big parking lot... it's next to a little strip mall that's included. Total square footage is 21,080
    thanks

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I always make good money charging $1 per sqft for bag mulch installation.

5. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

2cf bags - $1
    3cf bags - $1.50

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I charge about $3 per bag to install. But with as much as you need you could charge a little less.

7. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

I figured two guys per pallet of 75 bags would take an hour each to spread nice and evenly without covering any foliage. That's 24 hours. At our $90.00 hour rate, that we be $2,160.00, with them supplying the mulch. The times are from personal real world experience.

Dennis

8. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Whats the cost, per bag??

I charge 100 to 80% the cost of the bag plus delivery ($45.00)

So lets say its $2.75 a bag
    Sell it for $5.75 dollars a bag installed

But my math tells me your sq footage is off, did you take into account 2" depth?? if so then DAM that huge!!

If your measurements are right I would cut them a deal, instead of $5.75 a bag, I would sell it for $4.50 a bag installed with a total of 3 men working.

Cost-4,812.50

Profit-3,062.50- help, expenses, supply

close to 2500.00 +\-

Job price $7,875.00

Just my 2 cents

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How folks stay in business like this, how Lco's get any bids like this is beyond me.
    Because at least in my 6 years I almost never get away with charging whoppers, unless they can't find someone else to do it.
    It's not that I've never done it, I have, but few and far in between I get away with (then I pay for it later some kind of way LOL).

It's not about customers wanting something we can't or don't easily do.
    If that is the case then you need to politely decline their offer.

It is about figuring out how to do what they want done in a cost efficient manner.
    I'm not about lowballing, but at least around here it's cut throat, if you can't do it for less then someone else will.
    That's all I'm talking about.

So the trick is to figure out how to do it for the least and still come out nice.
    Ok so then...
    For that amount of mulch and with my method I would do it for $4400 and make great money!

Here's how:
    - Start shopping around in a 100 mile radius, see if someone don't got pine bark mulch, if 100 miles don't do try 200!
    > WHEN you find someone, if it's not too far maybe you can pick it up / deliver it yourself... If it is too far ask them to deliver 55 cu's.
    >> If I did it myself, that would be 11 trips, 5 cu's per trip.
    - Now spread it 2 inches thick, still too easy you can do this with rakes.
    > Ok I lied, it's not super easy, it does take some doing, but you're getting paid for it, and good.

Wow, we're talking $80 per cu.
    Pay yourself 25-30 each for the labor.
    Assume the cost is 20-25 per cu.
    So 50 per cu leaves you 30 dollars a cu for delivery.
    You can't tell me you wouldn't drive 100 miles one way for 150 bucks!
    But, it might be cheaper to get them to send it to you, 18-wheeler should be able to handle 55 cu's, might cost you a grand and you pocket the other 500 then still get roughly $30 per cu to spread it.
    That's 25 / cu cost x 55 + tax = 1500 + 1500 delivery + 30 x 55 = 1650 +++ == 4650 If I got my math right.

It's still probably over, but that is good because this leaves you some elbow room for error.
    I could do it for 4400, 4200 even if I was really hard up.
    And if the cost / cu is less or if they deliver for 5-6 or 700'ish you come out even better.

Just remember it goes down thin.
    If the price seems to cut your throat go 46 or 4700.
    That's what I would do.
    blam

10. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Topstes, has a good point,
    But I know here in Sarasota I cant find anyone with pine bark in bulk form, if it was available his #'s are right on the money.

That was one thing I didn't take in account was the saving of bulk vs bagged.
    Bagged is always more expensive and you get less per dollars spent.

Best of luck.