price per foot w/bed edger

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, Mar 20, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this year i'll be using a bed shaper/edger for my edging. from what mac told me, as fast as you can walk, you can edge. i forgot to ask him, how much to charge. so, how do you price this service?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

At the risk of sounding like a smartazz, what will the traffic bear?

I recall reading someone's per-foot rate for bed edging, but have no clue where I saw that anymore. Incidentally, how much did you cough up for that bed edger?

3. Mark McC

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Bob, Just to clarify the bed edging is as fast as you can walk with a redefining blade. If its a new bed it will be a little slower becouse you will be cuting out a lot more. Price depends on region but $1.00 per ft for redefining an edge upto $1.50 for a new edge. With a min. charge of course payup

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

most of my edging is a simple "re-define". any new bed creations are charged high enough so i don't care about using the machine. my first experience with the bed edger will be a rental @ $75 per day. i don't anticipate more than a 2 day rental if i can work it that fast

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

At the risk of being slammed here, if it is a redefine job then why not just use the ole shovel method. Charge an hourly rate and go from there. I have never used the bed shaper but have thought about it before. It seems to me that if you are unsure of using the bedshaper it would slow you down more than using the shovel. Is my thinking wrong here?

JP

7. Mark McC

I'm kinda with you on this, kinda not.

If it was me and I had a big job, I might as well hire out some mechanical muscle. Plus, sooner or later, I have to get some experience with the equipment to see what it does well and what it doesn't do especially well. That's the best way I can see to decide what sort of volume I would need to justify the expense of buying one AND whether this is a service I want to market aggressively.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, i am very succesful this year so far at selling bed edging in the maint packages. i am concentrating on selling true "full service" packages. and bed edging is a great add on service

9. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about a price, but remember to consider the fact that there is still time consuming hand work. A lot of hand work when cutting a brand new egde. You can't get a really great edge just using the edger, though around here guys run the machine and call it an edge, but usually looks half ass to me.

10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Mark,

I am with you on the experience issue. The only way to get better or get some time on it is to use it. I think I would rent one and try it at my own home first just so I don't really screw up the customers property.

Bobby,

Sounds like you would need it if you are selling them as part of the full service program. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes for you.

JP