price per sq. ft

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Jan 15, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

trying to get more organised with applications. instead of "winging" it, does anyone charge by sq. ft. how much? this would be for the whole program. pre-m, trimec+fert, merit, fert, lime. thanx

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby

At a semiar here in the bug capital we discussed this. Most were charging 9.50 to 10.00 per 1,000 sq ft per apply. These applys are for fert, pest and fungus. 4 to 6 applys a year spaced year round is standard in our area. Some charge extra for herb some include it. Your area may be different but this is a guide line. one of the people at this semiar who jumped up and down on the no less than 9.50/1,000 price under cut me bad on a 38,000 sq ft bid. My 350.00 bid was 9.20/1,000 his bid was 250.00 or 6.57/1,000. He got the job because I would not drop my price although the customer wanted me to do the job. So believe haft or what you hear or read.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

$10 per 1000 sq. ft? that makes the average property here go for around $40 an app. times this by 5 apps, u get $200. the products will run about $60-$70. consider fuel, permits, record keeping, etc. im thinking thats a little rough. hoping it averages out a little higher here in nj.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

BG: Materials will cost you that much in quantities that will do nearly 3-4 lawns of 4,000 square feet. A standard 50# bag of fert. from Lesco, if I recall correctly, covers around 12-15000 square feet. Thus for that $15 bag you are grossing $120 per app.

As for pricing...on smaller properties $10/1,000 would work, but you get up to acre size lots and you'll be going a lot lower. Who in their right mind is going to pay $400/acre. I will go down to ~ $0.003 per square foot over 40,000. Price also depends on layout of property. No two are the same.

5. greengeezer

greengeezer LawnSite Member

Pricing can vary from location to location too!

Here in S.W. Michigan, prices in Ypsilanti (blue collar) vs Bloomfield Twp (auto exec type neighborhood) will be different.

Back in my younger days, when working for the big C, our prices started at the low 30.00's for 3000 ft2 and went up about 2.00 for every 1000 ft2 increment. Between 10,000 and 15,000 ft2 that changed to about 1.75, after 20,000/1.50 ect.
    One acre lawns that were hand sprayed (no motorized applicator) went for about $150.00/app. Now acre lawns average about $100.00 by hand and as low as $60.00 to $65.00/acre. Smaller lawns still go for 30.00 to 35.00/app.

Something some people do is to call several of your competitors to survey/price lawns that you know that vary in size and see where your market is priced.

lots of luck

6. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member

Does this go the same for shrubs and trees? Same price for Granular and Spraying fertilizer?

Thanks

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Pricing should be discussed in the business forum and technical issues here. Most of what I've read in this thread would be too high a price or a bankrupt price.

You have to understand business before you can price anything!!!

There is the huge disadvantage of asking a question like this, as you don't know if the guy responding really knows anything or is right on the money.

What needs to be learned is a proper costing method, not just a price. Once costing/pricing/bidding methods are known and understood they can be applied to EVERYTHING you do.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

so, hbfox, how bout an answer to my question? do u fert? and how much$$??

9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes Bob I fert, but I have developed my own complex spreadsheet to figure it out using labor, material equipment costs, overhead labor burden and so on.

I suggest you do the same. Once you know how much it costs to run your business and how to plan for a DECENT PROFIT, how to bid and price will be easy and you can use the info aquired to price anything you want to do.

One of the worst things you can do is rely on financial information that isn't yours and applying it to your business.

10. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member

So what is your formula?