1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

price per square yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScottlandYards, Jun 14, 2005.

1. ScottlandYards

ScottlandYards LawnSite Member

Im a newcomer into the business, right now we are giving just rough estimate prices, what price do u give per square yard or should we do it off of man hours advice appreciated,

Scotland Yards
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Price per sq yd for doing what?

Don't give a rough estimate. Take the time to figure out your cost to do the job, determine what you need to make to stay in business and charge accordingly.

Also NEVER tell the customer a price per hour, bid the job.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Your giving out "rough" estimates and have no idea what to charge or how to price it :dizzy: WTF you gonna do if someone takes you up on an estimate and your not even covering your cost?
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

YEP! These silly 15 year old "businessmen" :laugh:

Kid, the first thing you need to figure out is what your cost of providing the service is and then you go from there.
  5. ScottlandYards

not rough estimates, we give breakdown on prices but ahve been wonder if we should charge for man hours or size, right now we are really doing a combo of both, and i would think its smart to go into busniess this young, just gettin a head start, my dad owned one in colelge and after, and me and my dad did one for a short while when i was younger and my friend has been doin it for a couple of years, so y the hell not
  6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

just jump in!! throw out a price by guessing your time on the job X what you want to charge per hour. Its your skill + your equipment+your time= total price. All the formulas or help in pricing wont calculate the factor of YOUR skill level. Take note on jobs detailing time ,costs, etc. and make a book for future bids. There are no short cuts to bidding. Give your price and stick to it if you seem tenative the vulture customer will move in for the kill and try and low ball you. Stick to your price even if it takes you longer too. It will make you a better estimator!! It will also let your customers know your a man of your word. ON the job training!!!
  7. ScottlandYards

thank your for the advice, sounds good

Scotland Yards