price per yard for mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hotpan, May 23, 2006.

1. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

when ppl say "$55 per yard" for example, is that per cubic yard??? my customer has 11 cubic yards of mulch needed. is that $600? i hear there's a lot of money to be made in landscaping but that sounds high.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

YES it they are talking about cubic yards and Yes that $55 is per CY installed and No that is not high. Depending on the part of the country you are in the going rate ranges from around $45 per CY to $100 per CY installed. And NO 11 CY's at $55 is not $600......it is $605.... :)

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i agree, it all depends on were you are, in my area ive seen it advertised to 100 yd delivered not spread !! i dout that this guy sold alot of mulch !! i usually charge 75 to 100 per yd spread & del ! my price depends on how far from the truck to the beds i have to wheelbarrow the mulch, also if the beds are overgrown....

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

i just landed a rubber mulch job that I bid @ $200/yd installed.....:cool2:

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

been mulching all this week so far @ $85-94/yd. mulch is outragously priced around here, i would like to be around $95-105 for most quality mulches, but its pretty hard to sell that when most houses around here take an average of 6-8yds. crowded beds can really slow you down, especially if you have to shovel/fling it into the beds from the wheelbarrow. Its not as much money as it sounds like.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Unload that 11 yards and spread it and see what you think of that price.
    Yes there is a lot of money to be made- but only after a LOT of hard work.
    For 2x's hardwood, I am at $70 this year

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Did the customer say your price is high or do you say your price is high? The price will generally vary a bit but 50-100 per yard installed is the going rate.

8. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

dude its a skidsteer 60in bucket load. hope this helps