1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Price pruning

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GenesisLawnNLandscape, Apr 1, 2005.

1. GenesisLawnNLandscape

GenesisLawnNLandscape LawnSite Member

Would like a estimate or guess for a contract with 1414 scrubs and mulch when needed.

R/Eric

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

You are gping to have to get into detail if you want any help !

3. GenesisLawnNLandscape

I am new to this website. I have 1414 shrubs to prune twice a year. I must maintain 3 inch hardwood mulch on all beds. Probably will not have to apply much mulch at all. I will apply as needed according to contract guidlines. I must prune 2 times a year. I am sorry but I can't give much more information. All are relatively easy to work with.

R/Eric :waving:

4. GenesisLawnNLandscape

Why is this showing that I moved? What did I do?

R/Eric

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to figure out how long it'll take and multiply that times your desired rate of pay. We cannot help you with that, especially because we have no idea what kind of shrubs, their size, whether you have to haul off the clippings, etc.
    Crawdad

6. GenesisLawnNLandscape

I may try to charge by the piece and just add in for the ocassional mulch.

R/Eric

7. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I take it that you don't know what kind of shrub you are proposing to prune. Most shrubs that I deal with need to be pruned more that 2 times per year. But I have several in the Ilex family, privets, manhattans, barberries, etc. Do any of those resemble you shrubs? I don't think someone can get an accurate price per shrub without know what they are dealing with.... growth habit, variety, etc.

Let me ask you this.... do you know what kind of car you drive? Or is it a truck? The same mentality needs to be applied here. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH! Do some research and find out about their growth patterns, then you can make a logical guesstimate.

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Go out to the job, take a look at the WORST/most difficult of the shrubs needing pruning. Start your stopwatch, pretend to prune it, stop your stopwatch when finished, multiply by 1414, divide by 60 (minutes per hour), multiply by what you'd like your hourly rate to be. Then decide what your bid should be according to the number of properties, time to be spent travelling from site to site, actual time to be spent pruning, number of times per year to be serviced, etc..

9. GenesisLawnNLandscape

Thanks Kate Butler, it is nice to know there are people like yourself still around. Thank you very much.

R/Eric