price question on retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cooltype, Jun 5, 2008.

1. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

new to building walls but going in with a couple other guys to build a pretty good size retaining wall. One of the guys has built several hundred walls and knows how to do it right but i am just curious if our bid was in the right ballpark. Currently there is rift raft rock down this hill that is washing away, we are going to remove and save the rock, cut down a tree thats growing in the way and build a wall thats 70 feet long and averages about 15 feet high, curved at the end and tapering down. we gave a bid of $21,500??

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you for real man ??

3. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

yeah lol i dont know if you mean too much or too little but the guy has gotten 6 bids and our price is in the middle so i was wondering who is bidding close to the right price??

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be over 60k without looking at it.

5. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

well dang i guess i will just see what happens, if we even get a call back to do the job. One guy gave a bid of 12,000, im not sure what the higher bids were.

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree with you, I would have been in the Mid $50,000 with out looking at it and with out the Trees and rocks.

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have figured out your materials cost, engineering, machine rentals, labor and profit split three ways, and you are happy. You have submitted a reasonable bid. A 15' tall wall must be engineered and if you have accounted for all those costs that the engineer has included, like geogrid and drainage and added that to your material costs, you should be ok for your area. The type of block you are using will also have a large impact on your costs, as a premium product will garner a premium installation price.

Here in NJ, someone would be expected to pay at least double what you have quoted, but our material and labor costs are likely substantially higher.

Kirk

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Who knows about the price, but you should definately get that engineered. That is a serious wall. Look at techo block monumental you might not even need geogrid. I'm guessing that a large block that you need a machine to place is the way to go.

9. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

yeah not sure the correct name for them but the big block that you use a machine to place would look good here and we actually talked about those. Our price is including geogrid, 3-4ft of gravel behind the wall, two levels of block below ground level, french drain, etc.. the wall guy knows alot more about this than i do i just know the basics. Materials we estimated around $5,000 using versalock 90 lb block

10. Premier Landscaping

Premier Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from ND

I wish I could get my block for the price you guys can. My versa-lok block comes too about $7.30 or so a block with pins and sales tax. So my cost on that wall just for block and pins alone would be over $7500 plus cap drain aggregate and a series 5 grid my expenses here would be almost double what you estimated, so I hope you didn't underestimate your costs and you are lucky and can get the material that much cheaper. I just got done doing a 75 foot versa-lok wall that was about 9 feet high steped down to 4 feet and that cost for block, cap, and pins was $5500 or so.