Price questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenDragonLandscapes, Jun 30, 2006.

1. GreenDragonLandscapes

GreenDragonLandscapes LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    Great site!
    Been lurking for a while and building up my business plan. I am trying to set up my pricing structure to start the lawn-care portion of my business next spring and had a couple of questions.
    Assuming you charge $35.00 for mowing a level and flat 1/4 Ac. property with 2 or 3 mature deciduous trees, how much would you charge for clean up (rake leaves)? How much to aerate such property. I just want to see the price relationship between mowing and other services within the same property. Just need ballpark figures based on those assumptions above.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Leaves are too hard to answer. to many variables not known.
    aeration, goes from around 12- to 15 a thousand (dependes on terrain)
    with a 75 Min. so that lot would start around $125.
    But I also can pull larger lots faster than walk the smaller ones. so as the lots get bigger I will figure each on a case by case.
    Full Fall package will price out a little better for just the areation also

3. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

PM is right. Leaves are very hard to estimate. The best thing I could tell you is to (the best you can) determine how long it will take you to do and price the job based on an hourly basis. Don't tell the customer it will take XX amount of time so it will cost X. Just price the job as X amount of dollars. That way if it doesn't take as long as you think it will you just made out better. Your first year, you will diffently take some hickies when it comes to bidding jobs. I know I did. However, by your second year you should be able to get your hours down to a tee. I bid one job this past Fall that I figured would take 6 man hours and it took 5 1/2. I also estimated 40 lawn bags worth of leaves and it turned out to be 40 exactly. You too will be able to do this after you do a good amount of jobs.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

From what I've seen on here aeration prices vary a lot from region to region, last fall I charged $20 per thousand sqft and the way customers jumped on it, I could have gone higher.

As far as leaves, your first season at it you might want to charge an hourly rate until you get a feel for it, then next year you can bid a flat rate.

5. PMLAWN

Last year I fought much harder for the 12-15 than any year before.
    I would be watching others if I tried 20.
    More and more guys doing it. And no license needed for fert so anybody can offer it. Just another reason for my decision to sell

6. just4me

just4me LawnSite Member
    from NH

The license for fert depends on state and what fert type it is per each state

7. PMLAWN

Right -- In NC we can drop straight fertilizer (just food, no killing) without but any pesticide requires one

8. Tripeaks L M

Tripeaks L M LawnSite Member
    from Bend

I just quoted a guy $1,120 for his property to do a spring clean but that includes everything i.e. aeration, thatching, beds yard front back new edges the other crew taking care of this property is not up to the customers needs. So a new edge has to be put down etc.. so the question is difficult to anwser plus you don't want to take a bath with bidding too low so be careful.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The easy all-around you will do ok it will not make you rich but it works formula for Aeration is grass cut fee + $10.00

I've used that formula for many years but over time I learned to add $15 to larger lots, but whatever, you really almost can't go wrong for as long that you use it, you will do ok on most and lose out a bit on a few. So it's a bit basic, but it works.

The other way I found is per hour... Once you get into the acre lots, you do $60 + $15 = 75 and you will find it takes two hours with a big walk-behind so it's not much fun. A better price for an acre would be 100 and it's hard work so see if you can get 120 for it.
    1/2 acre, well double 40 = 80 but it only takes an hour, so really 50-60 is good and that's 45+10 = 55, see the basic formula still works, I think you start to lose out around 3/4 acres and bigger, not really sure but thereabouts...

10. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

What he said!