price quote for a 1 time clean up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The Yard Wizard, Aug 31, 2004.

1. The Yard Wizard

The Yard Wizard LawnSite Member
    from CA

Hello, I just started my own Landscaping Maintenance business. I have a property management wanting me to do a 1 time clean up. I'm not sure on how much to charge it will take between 4-5 hrs. to do this job. They used to have a maintenance man doing this place but all he did was mow, edge, & blow. So this place is all over grown weeds, bushes, trees, planters everything needs done. What would be a fair price to charge them. I was thinking about $450.00 or does this sound to high or too low. I will also be doing the weekly maintenance on this property after this first time cleaning at $150.00 a month. Please I need some help on prices to charge!!! I have over 20yrs. exp. in landscaping and maintenance but no clue as how much to charge for my services. I don't want to cut myself short. One more thing what is a fair price to ask for an hourly rate. :confused:

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

is there any way you could provide some pics?? .. .. for the work that you describe , I would think $450 is not enough... .. how big is the property that needs cleaned up?.. what type of terain, do you have to carry brush off or pile it up onsite for city to carry off.. what type of equipment will you be using for the cleanup?
  3. The Yard Wizard

The Yard Wizard LawnSite Member
    from CA

The property is an average size track home yard. A small front lawn and the lawn in back yard is mid size. There are14 bushes that need to be cut back and groomed and 3 trees. I will be trimming them with a stihl hedge trimmer. The planters are full of weeds. They are growing threw above the flower bushes that are there. I will also be tearing out weeds from behind and beside garage and house. there are a few of the weeds are over 5 ft. tall. like I said the maintenance guy they had only mowed, edged and blew. I will be doing everything on this property not leaving a rock or leaf unturned. I have a feeling the real estate won't want to pay over $200-$300 for this job but its a lot of work that needs to be done. I will also be hauling off all the debris from this clean up with a trailer. So I will have to pay to dump it.
    Let me know what you think.
    P.S. I will try and put some send some pics.

Thank you

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

you may be better pricing this job by the hr.. .. since the Real estate company might not want to pay but 200 to 300 dollars for the job.. give them an hr rate.. its better to say like" $70 dollars" an hr than 400 for the job.. this way you protect yourself from ending up on the wrong end..
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

if you have to haul stuff away .....don't forget to charge for travel time and dump fees....

at 5 hours and $450.00 you are charging $90/hr......

2 ways to do this. You can set a price....and do the job, you may be faster and end up making alot more per hour. Or go hourly, but I find that customers are always thinking you are sandbaggin' when you price hourly.....more time= more money.

Here's what I would do. Estimate 5 hours at $60.00 per hour, tell customer $300.00......then I would pay a helper $10.00 per hour and get done in 3 hours. Then you end up making $90 per hour.

Obviously this is all based on basic clean-up practices and no equipment rentals, etc....

2/100 of a dollar......