1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

price quote over the phone??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Jul 22, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a call today that went like this:
    me: Hello, xyz lawn service

dumblady: Do you cut Grass?

me: yes

dumblady: How much do you charge?

me: I don't give prices over the phone but I'd be happy to come and look at the prop. and then give you a price.

dumblady: How come you don't give your price now?

me: There are too many variables.

dumblady: OK, we were just price shopping.

me: Have a nice day :angry:.....click

She made it sound like she had called a few other LCO's and they gave her a price over the phone? Does anyone really do this?
  2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me I found out the hard way. He told me about his property and I was like $__ amount, come to find out much larger and I should have charged double. Dropped him after 2 cuts.
  3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

"Does anyone really do this?"

Just once!
  4. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like it could be a start-up scrub trying to find out what the big boys charge?
  5. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

delete--------double post.
  6. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I will do it in subdivisions that I have current customers.......that I know the slope of ALL the lawns, and that ALL are the same size lots.

I always add $5 to the normal price in this situation in case it has excess trimming.

I tell them the price for the 1st cut, but I may charge more or less after the 1st cut....---(we'll discuss it after the 1st cut if a change is needed)...----to date, I've never charged less.......lol

Can't make any money without getting your foot in the door.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

alot of big companies here do this. they mass advertise, and don't have time to do estimates. they give mowing prices and fert program prices on the phone without even knowing the sq footage
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, when they get cute like that, I don't do the work if I can see they were not being completely truthful once I get there. SOMETIMES it is ok with an over-the-phone price so long they understand it's only a ballpark figure but your chances of getting the job are much slimmer, I would say.
    If I think they're being honest, I do the best I can, it works at times.
    Also from time to time I get someone that simply will NOT accept anything except a price on the phone... dunno what it is, but they HAVE to have it, so I let them have it, lol - I either give them a really wide range (like for grass-cutting I tell them I cut some for as little as 20 and some as high as 60) OR when I'm in the mood I give them a dirt-cheap price knowing I won't be doing the work.
    Well I gotta get'm off the phone and sometimes they won't let me unless I give them the stupid price, so...
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I just usually say 25 on up :)
  10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We're $35 and up. Then we do an estimate if they want more on site.