1. JOE SKOWRONEK

JOE SKOWRONEK LawnSite Member

I visited a local business recently and the manager said he was very happy with his current contractor and was not interested in a bid. I understand and hope I have the same devoted customers. He also said that if I gave him a price sheet he would pass it along to some other managers that have not had the same luck with contractors. I do not know if giving him hourly prices is the thing to do, but I want to keep a good relationship with him if things should sour with his current contractor. What should I do?

P.S. Well it's raining south of Pittsburgh, I wonder if John is having fun with some lake effect snows in Erie?

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We got 5" of new snow, just south of Erie. It melted off in an hour. Nothing to plow.

As far as passing a price sheet around, I don't know about that. Kinda dangerous.

And... hourly ?? In your market ??

We gotta talk.

3. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Never ever let them see you sweat or your price sheet for that matter.

4. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Unfortunately, I agree with the two fat guys; don't show 'em your price list. Make up a flyer that highlights your ability to offer prompt and professional service. There is plenty of work out there for you to get without giving the farm away. If you want to get some commercial accounts, go through the yellow pages under 'property management companies' and give them a call. Find who the property manager(s) are and ask them if you can bid on snow removal for their properties. This is a good way to get in. BTW, it's probably a little late now to do this, so you might have to wait until next year. Dig, what's up w/ the Merry Christmas thing? Is is a result of your clock being off 11350 hours?

5. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

hand him a bunch of Business cards or flyers advertising your business. let him hand those out.

Sounds to me like he just wants to see what you charge without committing to anything. OR its a family member plowing his place that wants to get an idea how to charge out for jobs.

If he is an honorable person and does hand out your cards, and any of his associates hire you, you may be getting a call from him soon if you do better work than his current contractor.

What can you lose but a few cards or flyers

6. diggerman

from Iowa

It just seemed festive,and the closer to Christmas it gets the sooner it will snow,just trying to give things a little shove.

7. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

I was asked for a price list today and shot back with 300 reasons why I wasn't going to give it out. The main reason is that puts you in a position you don't want to be in. I'm not talking about being chained to a bed. I mean competing on price. Put your top level of service out there as your USP, and you'll get your price.

8. diggerman

from Iowa

Thanx for not talking about being chained to a bed there are certain things about members here I just don't want to know.

9. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

hey, you never know... given the right people and circumstances...

all i am saying is lets not knock someone or something unless we have walked a mile in their work boots.

10. diggerman

from Iowa

Nope, still don't want to know thanx anyway