1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price shoppers= annoying

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 26, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm tired of price shoppers. I would rether have 20 "quality" customers then 30 "price" shoppers. I think it's the price shoppers that cost u more in time and reprints then anyone else. How do u feel about this? :dizzy:
  2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Price shoppers in late January in the Twin Cities?
  3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not yet, but that's all I had last year. Lucky i'm moving 2 CO.
  4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

That was a fast reply!

I was wondering if it was a theoretical question or if you were in fantasy land and were actually receiving lawn care estimate requests.

I would never look upon a request for a price as an annoyance, it's part of the business. It is not fun giving an estimate and not receiving the work, but as many have said before, if you get all the bids, your under priced.

As you grow the need for giving bids/estimates declines based on your growth plans/needs.
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I dislike spending my time on a bid and not landing the job as much as the next guy but I see nothing wrong with "price shoppers".

I price shopped my equipment, my home, my autos, my tree work, my computer, repairs on my autos........

...and have saved a bunch of $$$ in the process. :D

For instance, the 15 trees I had removed from my property 2 years ago. I received bids from 4 different companies and they ranged from $1700 all the way up to $3400. I accepted the company in the middle at $2400. They were prompt, professional, courtious, insured, had great references, ground the stumps, and removed every last bit of debris/brush from my property. So I saved $1000 over the highest bid.

Funny thing was that the $3400 guy was going to leave the stumps...and the brush for the city chipper truck to get whenever they decided to come around (which is usually about every 6 months).

So, not only did I save $1000...I also got much better service...all because I took the time to price shop (and ask questions while I was doing it). $1000 will buy a lot of enchiladas, my friend! :D

People who do not price shop must have money to burn.
  6. Dude you haven't been at it long enough to even complain.

You are not going to get very many of clients like above.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

What I did was to break everything up into zones that surrounded the city where we offered services at. The city has about 6 zones, the larger town has about 8, the smaller town has about 5, the two villages both have about 4-5, and then there are the "rural areas" at the outskirts of each of the areas surrounding the city with several other zones.

This way if someone says they are from Farmer Lane, I know that its in Zone 15, and that all properties are roughly 2-4 acre sites out there and can quote an avg to them over the phone saving the fuel.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Annoying price shoppers is one reason that I don't advertise on my truck.
  9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I never got a quality account through advertising, any time I need an account to replace someone who has moved or passed away I let my customers know that I am in need of another lawn and the phone starts ringing, I do not gouge my accounts and I feel they get excellent service that way every one is happy. Have not had signs on the equipment since the first year.
    1 guy 24 accounts (3 commercial).

10. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

lawncare3: Do you shop for the best price on equiptment? If so your no different than the price shoppers for lawn care. Deal with it ! Its part of the buisness