1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price this commercial job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Dec 10, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

This is a commercial job that I need to get a price for ASAP

16 Honeylocust 1.75" Wholesale $78-104
    12 Crabapple 1.75" $50-75
    185 Burning Bush 24" 5 gal $17 or $18B&B not sure if container Burning Bush will be ok, would be nice considering the weight savings of 185 plants.

Can get everything delivered to site by JD Landscapes and our wholesaler. Planting only, no mulching, GC says his guys will do that. No big deal on that, actually will help things a little considering the site. Will rent dingo with auger attachment at $185/day. The lower prices on the trees are from out of town and I will have to drive a couple hours to pick up. I'm waiting on John Deere Landscapes to return a call with there prices, I expect them to be close to the lower end for the trees so that is a major part.
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I went with the higher cost,any money you save from bouncing back and forth should cover fuel.

I calculated that the job is worth 15290.00 plus delivery
    This includes rentals and installation
    I would go with the local wholesaler if the plants look good,it would be worth the money not to have to go out of town to get them.

Plant quality is very important if you do not see the quality at your local dealer then the trip is worth it.

Container Burning Bush should be ok ,but if you cannot lift the plant up an inch out of the pot without a lot of trouble then the plant could be pot bound and not worth the effort on that many plants.

Because you can do the job eaiser with the auger it does not justify reducing the cost.If you are a professional thats what the client is paying for. Not
    just quick results.
  3. brentsawyer

Talked with another nursery about an hour away, all interstate. They have the Burning Bush for $16 and Floribunda Vrabs 1.75" for $30. If I do this, I'll have the Honeylocust left and those are now running locally for $120-108. Just got off the phone with John Deere and they will now give me the Burning Bush for $15.50. Probably can't beat the $30 Crabs anywhere.
  4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

$14,400 from our Northern Va pricing with no warranty.
    Its only 28 small trees. We wouldn't bother with a Dingo. Machines make it too easy and tend to plant the trees too deep. Root ball should only be 20-22", so not a lot of struggling. We use pine fines to plant everything as the soil amendment. 1/2 a 2cf bag per tree, 5 EAC per 2cf bag. No staking needed either on that small and variety type tree. I would schedule this for one of our 4 man crews and it would be two easy days to accomplish.
  5. Coffeecraver

from VA.

I too would do the job without the Dingo

I got 14,735 without the rental.

Also no Warrenty and no staking

Beating the price is not as good as getting the quality.
  6. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I came up with 13 using the higher prices. I would be leary as well about a guarantee in a situation like this.

At this time of the year a great price can mean a 'park grade' tree or mediocre shrub. Don't know if your GC is looking for quality or price, but give him whichever he wants, with NO guarantee.

My price includes no site prep. Show up on the site and plant with whatever soil ammendment is neccesary.
  7. brentsawyer

One year warranty is required by the city for any landscaping project. So are the 1.75" trees. I was thinking Dingo since we are so wet here and the soil is so heavy. At least it will give me a hole to start from, then I could add soil amendments to the backfill or just bring in my own or require him to have some dry topsoil on site.
  8. Coffeecraver

from VA.

If you paid retail then you might be able to transfer the warrenty

If you used a two man auger it would be cheaper and not make the mess that a dingo could in that wet soil.

Also be careful of the planting depth.
  9. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Interesting you guys are talking about amendments. I don't have a great deal of experience, I have returned to college to get a Hort degree and what I learned in Hort science, was not to add any amendments to the original soil, unless to adjust for ph. Before adding amendments, did you guys experience problems with survival of plantings?

Also, just as a tip, you may already know, if you do use a auger, you should scour the sides of the hole with a spade/shovel where the bit has dug in.
  10. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Would you plant a tree or ornamental in the backfill from someone's basement from 8' deep? Not much organic matter that far down. The pine fines force the clay particles apart and help ensure adequate aeration. You mix them in with the original crappy soil you excavate from the hole. Once you get out of school and start warrantying your projects, you will ensure giving your plants the best start possible depending on each sites problems.