Price this commercial site retaining wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Nov 12, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

With the following info only in your town 6mi from your house, let me know what you might bid this job at. I'll probably do most of the work myself and can lay the base course in about 2 days. Generally I charge my labor out @$500/day

Retaining wall is 112' long, staight, buff colored mesa block. Each block costs $4 and caps are $3.40. Total bill from concrete supplier for pins, block, adhesive will be $2094 with tax including delivery which is free and on 30 days credit. The wall is along the back property line and all dirt will be excavated around it since it is in construction phase. All I have to do is dig out 2'x112' trench, fill, lay block and caps and backfill with proper amt. of gravel behind wall, add drainage tile. Our quarries deliver for about $45 for a tri-ax + $8.50 ton. I will have to rent mini backhoe, compactor, concrete saw for very few cuts on caps and maybe bobcat. Thanks, I need to get this in Monday 11/15 to the GC.

2. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Well........
    How high is the wall?
    112' X 2' X 4" ? I would use 2 guy's and 2 shovles + 2 wheelbarows (unless your in clay or compacted stone soil ). They should have it done before you could pick up and pay for a mini-ex, or would this take away playtime. :)
    If your going to rent somthing for the wall make it a laser level, will save you a lot more time than the mini-ex. For the cuts I would buy a decent worm gear saw and a 7" dry diamond blade, would be different if you had radius cuts ect....

Regards,
    Active

3. brentsawyer

3-4' tall, if 4', geogrid will have to be installed, cost is $2.21 LF., I will use a mini-ex since it needs to be dug out at least to a 16" depth. Of course, the first row will be buried, but with a mini-ex I should be able to dig out the trench in about 2-3 hours vs. days with 2 guys and some shovels. There is a major time rush on the project so the asphault can go down before the plants shut down for the winter. I have a laser level already and will use to check depth throughout trench.

4. activelandscaping

Well, a mini-ex certainly can come in handy, not sure about your time line with the hand trench though. I don't understand how you came up with 16" deep, but I'll take your word for it. I don't believe the specs. call for the first layer to be entrenched but it won't do any harm to have it that way.
    I would, however, recommend that you use at least 1 layer of geogrid for any SRW over 2 feet, couple hundred bucks isn't much compared to the benefit.

On a last minute bid I would go about 16-18K, depending on site conditions.

Regards,
    Active

5. brentsawyer

I gave them a bid last Monday for the wall to be constructed first bit of December for $14-16K over the phone site unseen so it was not def. and the owner was not wanting to spend that much and that price was right in line with another bid. I can fit it in before Thanksgiving but I feel that it is going to have be a good price for it on my part but again I do have the time for it this week and they will be getting alot of the topsoil out of the way for me and I will be able to place the pallets right up to where I'm working. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get $14-16 or even 18K but it ain't gonna happen. Best I know to do is figure what it will cost me to do it in the mose efficient way, oh yeah it has rained about 10" here the past 6 weeks so the ground is real heavy and bid it normally with a little more thrown in on top to make up for the emergency since it looks like without the wall they may not have a parking lot this winter. I figure that this will take about 3 days with 2 other guys laying in behind me though the more I think about it.

6. activelandscaping

Will the wall need to support traffic loads? This will be true if the paving surface comes to within about 8-10' of a 4' SRW.

Regards,
    Active

7. activelandscaping

One more thing I meant to add. In my area any public parking area must have a perimeter zone that meets city slope requirements, if slope requirements are not met then there must be a " traffic barrier ". If this is the case in your area then the wall would need to be engineered to support a specified impact load on the barrier footing, or piering installed that would load independently in the case of impact.

Regards,
    Active

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

wow u bid that for $35 a square foot ? sounds like to me that most of your profit would be ate up on rentals .

9. activelandscaping

1) Case 580L or Mini-ex: $800/wk
    2) Materials/supplies 3K
    3) Labor/overhead & insurance ( based on 5 day start to finish ) $ 2500

At a price of 16K seems like there would be a couple of bucks left over.

Regards,
    Active

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

what i am say i wouldnt be bidding on a job to do if i dont have aleast half the tools. i can see renting a bobcat or a track hoe but not even having a saw or stuff like that . imo if you dont have the tools to properly run efficent why did the job. that would be like me bidding on a job to install guard rails and not have the proper tools . just my opinion