1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

PRICE THIS JOB

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Mar 14, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hi folks, i am splitting this job with another landscaper(whos just starting out)i was asked to do the estimate, and he insists my price seems outrageous, i told him its the going rate. could u guys give me a price on this: minimal prep, there is some mulch in the beds and they r a tad too high, so i will remove the mulch, there is no exsisting shrubbery, just remove the mulch, do some minor grading, and reedge the beds, a total of about 2 hrs, 2 men. then install:1 snowfountain cherry, my cost is $89, 2 goldthread cypress, my cost $44, 4 jap holly, my cost $88, 14 azaelas, my cost , $196, 2 hostas at $26, 6 china girl holly at $132, 8 daylillies at $56, 3 and a half ton of stone at $33 per ton, weedblock and pre emergence, at $60, peat moss at $20. thanks guys. the area is new jersey, upper middle class

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Ok. Here are some assumptions I made:

You have to have a pesticide app license in NJ,

you are using about 1000 sqft of fabric,

The mulch, regrade and reedge will take more than 2 hrs,

You only have to drive to 1 nursery to pick up the plants and peat moss,

You're picking up the stone yourself.

That being assumed and not knowing the exact situation of this customer/site, or some of the costs that might be higher in NJ than in WI, we'd come in around $2-2.5K.

Hope this helps.

3. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I would have estimated this project at $3200.

4. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

I'd say $2000-$2500 but I'd sure like to be able to get $3500!

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, maybe im a bit too low, thought i got a nice days pay at $1900. thanks for yur help guys. how bout on this one: 13 tons of bluestone(that crappy looking stuff some people use for driveways)cost of material was $260, no wheelbarrowing, just dump and rake to spread it. 3 trips to pick it up

6. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I would mark the stone up to $30 per yard for $390. I have a friend who I sub skidsteer work out to, and he charges $100 per day up to 8 hrs. I would give a buffer of 2 hrs for this job with 2 men or (4 man hours) = $90. I am also adding an hour per deliverery for traffic time. We can be from the gravel pit to just about anywhere in our town in 30 minutes. At 3 man hours = $65. My bid for this job would be $650.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

$2200 for the installation.
    $560 for the driveway.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

8. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Have the stone delivered=no trips, charge customer.
    Landscape job= $2400, stone =$625

9. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

How far from NJ is Owego, NY? If I could could pay someone $100 a day to run his own skidsteer I'll sell mine. Does this guy live in that machine?

10. Eric Mortilla

Eric Mortilla LawnSite Member

i came up with 1900 aboslute loweast price if i liked the guy would have started at 2200 and let him negotiate