Price this one.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Commander, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Commander

Commander Banned

I went to talk with the new owners of a house I have worked at for years. You go up the driveway and there are about 7 cedar trees to the left right across from the house. All of them either have rot in them or they are leaning badly over the house. I told the owner that they should all go. He is moving the driveway anyways, and likes the look of the trees but does not want the dangerous ones there. He told me that we would remove them and plant new ones in a slightly different location. The thing is this... These cedar trees range in height from about 25 - 35 feet tall. He asked about how much it would cost. He started spitting out multi-thousand dollar figures and I replied that I simply did not know, but that I would find out. The guy does have the money to pay for this, but I have no clue what to ask for (the job would have to be subbed out). If you guys got asked to do this job how much would you ask for per tree? I figure we will probably wind up planting around 3 - 5 of the trees, but am not 100% certain.

2. Commander

Commander Banned

I was thinking between 10 and 20 thousand a tree, but that's without any experience other than reading trade mag's.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what your intentions are, but calling 2-3 local respectable tree company would be in your best interest. Certainly don't quote 10's of thousands of dollars.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm missing something. Ten to twenty thousand per tree for what?

5. mr lawn

mr lawn LawnSite Member

I have done plenty of tree removal, and there is 2 considerations first. 1st, how close to the house, and if you are new to taking trees down, do you feel confident enough to take them down yourself, with the min. of 1 other person. Last year I took 5 down around my house and 4 of them were 60' or more. From what I've done on my own, and from the prices got first I would have to say, just to take the trees down, $400-600 a tree. This depends on whether your cutting them up and getting rid of them, and if you are grinding the stumps, and if you are bringing in a big chipper for the branches etc..... Good luck.......:)

6. Commander

Commander Banned

I can remove the trees presently there no questions asked. The question I am asking is how much to plant the new ones? I have called up 3 very respectable tree services which all have the knowledge and capabilities to do the installations. Hopefully I shall be hearing from them on Monday. (the trees that will be planted are going to be about 25 - 35 feet tall.)

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Where will you be getting trees that tall? I think you should call someone who does this kind of planting and find out what they will charge you before you go spitting out random prices. There's a big difference between 10 and 20 thousand.

8. Commander

Commander Banned

I just talked with somebody tonight who plants trees this size. He told me that the numbers shouldn't be as high as I originally thought. He gave me a number for the nursery that he uses for buying the trees. He also said that the nursery will plant the trees for me if I want. If I was to plant the trees he said to have the customer buy them, get a big excavator, the nursery will deliver them, and set em with the excavator. Then you got guying and all that other stuff. One thing he did mention to me is that whoever plants the trees I should not guarantee that they will live. 30' tall trees aren't too cheap to replace.

9. site

site LawnSite Member

Finding the trees will be the hardest part. Try plant locator.com. There is an 800# there, and the guy who answers is really helpful.
    As far as pricing charge at least double what you pay for the trees. Included ijn this price would be delivery and installation, and maybe a guarantee- First figure out if replacements would be realistic, then decide how much to charge for a guarantee.

10. Commander

Commander Banned

I talked with somebody today and it was determined that just to buy the trees and have them delivered (I know where to get them now) would be about $5,000 per tree. They are able to bring up about 3 trees per trailer load. I got a price of $1000 per day for a 28,000 lb excavator w/ operator. Apparently the machine will be able to pick the trees up and set them, no problems. What do you all think for a price per tree?