price to change head gasket on 25hp kohler help?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milo, May 25, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

a dealer told me that the head gasket was bad on my kohler and he said 200 to replace both. i called 4 dealers. $200.00, 2, 450.00 3, 1 hour $52.00 plus gaskets. and 4th dealer said 2 hours at $54.00 plus gaskets.
    my question is who do you think i should trust and go to??? the 1 hour guy said he dont think it would take any longer than that and i just want to make sure he is right. anyone ever do them and how long did it take??? thanks for any help..

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I was thru this with a 98 Walker and it was a lot higher than 200 bucks but that was because it is difficult to work in a Walker.
    My advive to you is to get it fixed and sell it or it will happen again. Those motors are JUNK! and yes I am speaking from experience.
    I am not a Kohler basher, I own 2 , 26EFIS and a 15HP that I wouldn't trade for anything but the 25 is $hi7. Sorry for being so blunt but they have had many problems. Take care. Good Luck.

3. milo

hi well mine runs great just now taking oil and blowing blue smoke bad. i am gonna get it fixed but just want to know if anyone thinks the 1 hour dealer is going to pull well it took us 4 hours so pay us deal so i just would like to know the time to do it.. i think i could do it in 2 to 3 hours like i said my only concern is the darn muffler nuts...

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer # 4 is right on the money at 2 hrs. and I sure wouldn't go with the 1 hr. guy because he sounds like he has never done one if he THINKS it wouldn't take any longer. Who ever you take it to for the repair make sure they use the up-dated head gasket kit and not just head gaskets from stock.
    I will agree Kohler had their problems with head gaskets on the 25's but that has been solved with the replacement head gasket kit. Out of the (stopped counting at 40) engines I installed the kit on has not returned with the same problem.

Good Luck

Kohler Head Gasket S. B..JPG

5. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

What kind of equipment is it in?

IF you can get the cover off without removing the engine, it wont take 2 hrs, but some shops will take the time to lap the valves, decarbonize the piston and head while they have it off and test the leak down after.
    If you have to remove the engine the whole job should take about 2 hrs.

I would be pro-active and ask what exactly they are going to do for the specified amount.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

regular commands have thier problems like head gaskets and noisy lifters. command pro's run great. get your estimate in writing.

7. milo

well the 200 guy is gonna do it... this should end my oil burning problem. it is brite blue..

8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, kohler 25/26efi is the same except 4 the efi ,and similar are the27,28efi. Prior to 1998 very few efi engines all 25 carby[guinea pig ]Most problems have been now solved,upgrades ,revised parts etc tomo

9. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, check cylinder head if it is an early head it will have a square oil drain hole . One cnr of square sits very close to the cylinder edge there 4 encouraging a blown head gskt . Later heads have triangle oil hole.If possible fullupgrade to head studs.I have had much success with a head gskt spray . Yes it does wrk on gskts even when it tells you not to use . Seek professional advice. Above all else do not overheat/overload engine .This will promote early gskt failure. Hope this helps .Fit a great BIG oil cooller to unit if possible.Remember air coolled engines operate at max stress most of the time . Diesel if u can affrd to liquid coolled of course. tomo

10. jorlando

jorlando LawnSite Member

I also have a blown head gasket on my CV25. Can someone please tell me how to get the (second page of the) service bulletin so I can make sure the parts I get are the new versions? Also can someone tell me the torque spec and sequence for tightening the head?

Thanks
    Jeff , Kalama, WA