Price to charge for mowing lawns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bennielsen, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bennielsen

bennielsen LawnSite Member

I have read through some of the stuff on this sight and have found that some people in Virginia charge $60 per acre to mow and edge. I live in Utah and am thinking of starting a Lawn care company. I have one truck, one mower, one edger, and one blower. What is the going rate to mow and edge a lawn per acre in Utah?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

when you do your business plan, you will find your expenses, expenses per hour plus desired profet per hour equals what you charge....

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Have some crews come give you estimates to cut your lawn and then you'll know

4. daveintoledo

first off, dont wast another mans time because you are inexperienced...

second, how do you know he is charging correctly, and what are his expenses, what he needs to make a profit could be very different from your numbers....

there are no easy answers, you have to do the leg work, you have to know your true cost...

80percent or more on this site have know idea what it cost them per hour to be in business.... that is why they will be gone in a couple of years, with new ones here taking there place, who will be gone in a couple of years, and so on....

5. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Rule of thumb is 1$ per minute average to do a lawn. Remember this is only a rule of thumb. You have to know what your costs are (fuel, mileage,terrain etc.)

6. rlander06

rlander06 LawnSite Member

At my full time job I make $12.50 an hour. If I can make $20.00 an hour in Lawn care I will be happy.

7. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

O GOD!!!!!!!!!

8. daveintoledo

you have no idea what you are doing, so you charge 10 bucks to do a lawn, you go out of business next year, a real LCO gives and estimate a of 35 dollars and the customer takes a crap, i cant beleive its so much....

what do you have to make to really get that 20per hour....60 per hour

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

$1 a minute is about right and sometimes $1.50 a minute depending on what needs to be done. If you think that is high, just call a plumber, electrician, or computer tech when you need a repair and see how much they charge and I'll bet if its like around here its over a dollar a minute. The big difference between them and us? Equipment, gas, and labor ours cost alot more.

10. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

This is an extremely frustrating post.

Good luck to you rlander. Please bid responsibly. If not for yourself, then at least for the landscape professionals in your area.