Price to charge?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by smalley360, Dec 13, 2006.

1. smalley360

smalley360 LawnSite Member

I know price verys from location to location but I would like some info on how you guys would estimate the ballpark charge for a ditch on flat ground without any obstructions, digging in dry clay 3ft deep x 13" wide x 57 feet long. I am using my new RC-30 with a backhoe attachment.
    any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keoni

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Keoni...a couple questions: How far do you have to drive to get to the job? How long do you think it will take to unload, dig, and then reload your equipment?

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That would take me about 30 minutes to do, if that. We have minimums, I won't go to a job unless I get paid for 2 hours of work.

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

30 minutes with what?

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well it depends how close to 3 feet you have to be. If it has to be exact like using a laser it will take longer, but if its a simple electric trench you could easily knock it out in 1/2 hour with a full size backhoe, i mean its only a foot wide...as far as the positrack with a backhoe attachment i couldnt tell you...i've never run one

6. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead: yea got it ,misread post 13 inches not feet,my apologies to all concerned!

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

My thinking is that even though it wouldn't take too much time to actually dig, your fixed expenses are still the same, so you have got to have a minimum to show up and dig and a transport fee of some sort.....otherwise you could be running all around for 30 minute jobs and go broke in the process. I have been trying to get $150 for transport and a 4 hr. minimum....during the busy season, that was no problem with a fast economy....but now it is a tad bit slower and winter, so your guess is better than mine right now....

8. smalley360

The drive is about a half hour in a regular truck not hauling, but the road is very long and curvy with many ruts due to the surrounding trees causing upheaval of the asphault so I would just go up in first gear most of the way. I think the drive is the worst part of the job. The trench is for a retaining wall surrounding a cottage which they are going to burry the ends of eucylptus trees in the ditch for the wall support. The edge of the trench is about 4ft from the side of the cottage. I'm getting into the compact equipment digging business since there is a lot of work in areas that big machines cant go.
    I will put a minimum time charge (2 hrs).
    My guess for the travel/dig/load & unload time would be:

drive to site = 45-50 min.
    load = 10 min.
    unload = 10 min.
    dig = 1-2 hours

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

In that case, I wouldn't charge less than $250. I don't know what you plan on making your hourly rate, but you have about 3 hours of work/drive time, not including the drive home. We usually only charge for move in as the next customer who pays move in will basically paying for move out on the last job. Typically we move from one job to the next, our equipment never makes it back to the shop.

Crab, I was quoting time using a Cat 303CR mini ex. I re-read his post and said it was clay, so in that case I'd probably be looking more at 45 minutes or so, clay always seems to give mini's trouble. You could bring in a 312 and have it done in about 15 minutes, but it sure wouldn't be 13 inches wide...:drinkup:

10. smalley360

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I just got into the buisness. I bought the machine for my property and enjoyed working with it so much that I figured it would be a nice side business. Also the compact market here is small.
    What do you guys charge per hour? I was thinking $65/hr for the machine but do you also charge for the operator time or is it included with the machine price (I own my machine and trailer).